Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Was going into Government a mistake?

  1. #1

    Default Was going into Government a mistake?

    The question is in the title. The Labour Party was arguably given the greatest opportunity it ever had in the aftermath of the 2011 General Election to break out of its cinderella status, bury Fianna Fail, and establish a left-right divide. Who knows, had they decided to lead the opposition, they could well be on the way to leading the next government (impossible to know really).

    They instead decided to enter government with Fine Gael in what is technically a Grand Coalition but in reality is a one-sided affair. For all intents and purposes, the boost it recieved during the election has dissipated either back to FF or towards SF, and it seems its base is eroding. Their arguments for going in where several - ranging from the idea that it was elected to govern not shout from the sidelines, to the need for them to put political differences aside for the sake of the country. There where few arguments against at the time of their special conference (I believe Labour Youth where the only internal group initially opposed, and the Stickeens where roundly ridiculed at the time for it).

    Was it a good idea? How will history judge them for it? Could it have been their biggest mistake since the decision not to contest the 1918 GE? Did they even have a choice, given the state of the country and the mood of the electorate (presumably a party staying out of government for reasons of self-interest wouldn't have gone down so well either)? Anyone have any ideas what would have happened had they stayed out and decided instead to lead the oppositon?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member emulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    The question is in the title. The Labour Party was arguably given the greatest opportunity it ever had in the aftermath of the 2011 General Election to break out of its cinderella status, bury Fianna Fail, and establish a left-right divide. Who knows, had they decided to lead the opposition, they could well be on the way to leading the next government (impossible to know really).

    They instead decided to enter government with Fine Gael in what is technically a Grand Coalition but in reality is a one-sided affair. For all intents and purposes, the boost it recieved during the election has dissipated either back to FF or towards SF, and it seems its base is eroding. Their arguments for going in where several - ranging from the idea that it was elected to govern not shout from the sidelines, to the need for them to put political differences aside for the sake of the country. There where few arguments against at the time of their special conference (I believe Labour Youth where the only internal group initially opposed, and the Stickeens where roundly ridiculed at the time for it).

    Was it a good idea? How will history judge them for it? Could it have been their biggest mistake since the decision not to contest the 1918 GE? Did they even have a choice, given the state of the country and the mood of the electorate (presumably a party staying out of government for reasons of self-interest wouldn't have gone down so well either)? Anyone have any ideas what would have happened had they stayed out and decided instead to lead the oppositon?
    Yes.

    But as with the Greens and many other smaller parties they couldn't resist the lure of power. They could've insisted on policies that were more in keeping with their core beliefs but didn't. They will pay dearly for their time in the spotlight....

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31,220
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    This debate has gone on within the Labour party for years between pragmatists who want to achieve what they can whenever the opportunity presents itself and the purists who want to wait until the people come to their senses and vote for a socialist alternative.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    The question is in the title. The Labour Party was arguably given the greatest opportunity it ever had in the aftermath of the 2011 General Election to break out of its cinderella status, bury Fianna Fail, and establish a left-right divide. Who knows, had they decided to lead the opposition, they could well be on the way to leading the next government (impossible to know really).
    Absolutely, they had a golden chance to establish themselves as a real alternative but they blew it. they will never get this chance again.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louis bernard View Post
    Absolutely, they had a golden chance to establish themselves as a real alternative but they blew it. they will never get this chance again.
    They will , irish politics is a cyclical as the economy ........But not for a while I think
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Opposition is a great place to barrack and seem impressive but no substitute for the real thing. Unlike the Greens they knew what they were getting into. I don't know why people keep thinking Labour are socialist when they really haven't been for a long time. They are a party who can house left-leaning types, and just as quickly lose them, but at heart they are pragmatists who are well-suited to the notion of coalition and the compromise required.

    As for being a real alternative that was never going to happen. Labour are very weak in many constituencies and could never hope to get enough seats between Dublin and a few other localities.

    They've largely got what they wanted in Govt in terms of portfolios and as is oft commented here far far too early to judge their achievements. Notwithstanding questions over the performances of Gilmore and Howlin, the likes of Burton and Lynch have done well enough and with the rise of O'Riordain and Hannigan they have enough talent to replace junior ministers.
    Last edited by sic transit; 27th November 2012 at 02:07 PM.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They sold their souls to the devil for the lure of power and greed. Left wing and socialist my hole!

    They will rue the day they chose to enter government. They will be punished most severely by the electorate at the next GE. They deserve all they will get and more.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The voters clearly voted for a Fine Gael/Labour coalition.

    If Labour had opted out of this, their poll collapse would have been multiples of anything that has actually taken place in the meantime.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    Yes.

    But as with the Greens and many other smaller parties they couldn't resist the lure of power. They could've insisted on policies that were more in keeping with their core beliefs but didn't. They will pay dearly for their time in the spotlight....
    What are these core beliefs of which you speak?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    De pinsion.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •