Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Good news: Bombardier 4bn GBP order

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Good news: Bombardier 4bn GBP order

    BBC News - Bombardier Belfast welcomes 4.8bn jet deal

    Literally the biggest ever order for a firm 4.5BN!!!

    Superb news for Bombardier Shorts which is part of the supply chain for this order.

    "This order - the largest ever business aircraft sale in Bombardier's history - will help to sustain jobs and secure our long-term future, in addition to benefiting our local supply chain," it said.
    The composite horizontal stabiliser is made in Belfast
    "Bombardier in Belfast is responsible for the design and manufacture of a range of parts for the global aircraft family, including the forward fuselages, engine nacelles, horizontal stabilisers and other components."

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Iarmhi
    Posts
    3,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Excellent news

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ArtyisBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coleraine
    Posts
    6,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is one old industry that is holding on. It and the Martin Baker legacy. However there is a problem. This is also an industry that is on decline here. The excellent tradition of aeronautical design and Queens turning out good engineers keep it alive. But it it under threat. At least this keeps the place in business although I do not know for how long. So long as there are high end engineering it will stay. I however see this as an industry which will be under threat in a few years as the emerging nations start to take on this work. After all the short flight industry will be "taking of" in the Asian, African and South American countries. IT only makes sense for the supply chain to be shortened as per FG Wilson and to move the wages to cheaper areas as per the shirt factories.
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member oxterSniffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    This is one old industry that is holding on. It and the Martin Baker legacy. However there is a problem. This is also an industry that is on decline here. The excellent tradition of aeronautical design and Queens turning out good engineers keep it alive. But it it under threat. At least this keeps the place in business although I do not know for how long. So long as there are high end engineering it will stay. I however see this as an industry which will be under threat in a few years as the emerging nations start to take on this work. After all the short flight industry will be "taking of" in the Asian, African and South American countries. IT only makes sense for the supply chain to be shortened as per FG Wilson and to move the wages to cheaper areas as per the shirt factories.
    Wages are rapidly increasing in China -- couple that with advancements in robotics and automation and the trend of manufacturing away from the west is expected to reverse. Cheap labour will never be a substitute for a skilled workforce in Engineering. (the latter we are indeed losing and must put priority back to reclaiming)

    One way to also develop industry is not to rely on disloyal foreign companies to do it for us. Rather we need British public money kick-starting British enterprise (instead of going towards a lot of useless welfare scroungers, government quangos and commissions).
    Last edited by oxterSniffer; 27th November 2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Ulaidh Go Bragh!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member ArtyisBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coleraine
    Posts
    6,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oxterSniffer View Post
    Wages are rapidly increasing in China -- couple that with advancements in robotics and automation and the trend of manufacturing away from the west is expected to reverse. Cheap labour will never be a substitute for a skilled workforce in Engineering. (the latter we are indeed losing and must put priority back to reclaiming)

    One way to also develop industry is not to rely on disloyal foreign companies to do it for us. Rather we need British public money kick-starting British enterprise (instead of going towards a lot of useless welfare scroungers, government quangos and commissions).
    Wishful thinking
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member oxterSniffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    Wishful thinking
    I am someone of an Engineering background, and I can assure you that the advances in robotics are so much so that automated manufacturing and assembly becoming extremely affordable and more effective than manual cheap labour will ever be.
    Ulaidh Go Bragh!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member ArtyisBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coleraine
    Posts
    6,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oxterSniffer View Post
    I am someone of an Engineering background, and I can assure you that the advances in robotics are so much so that automated manufacturing and assembly becoming extremely affordable and more effective than manual cheap labour will ever be.
    I can see that - but they can be ran abroad too. And they are closer to the market and the industries that still require high labour and therefore cheap labour
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

  8. #8
    Castle Ray
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    This is one old industry that is holding on. It and the Martin Baker legacy. However there is a problem. This is also an industry that is on decline here. The excellent tradition of aeronautical design and Queens turning out good engineers keep it alive. But it it under threat. At least this keeps the place in business although I do not know for how long. So long as there are high end engineering it will stay. I however see this as an industry which will be under threat in a few years as the emerging nations start to take on this work. After all the short flight industry will be "taking of" in the Asian, African and South American countries. IT only makes sense for the supply chain to be shortened as per FG Wilson and to move the wages to cheaper areas as per the shirt factories.
    Why is it in decline? Bombardier invested 1/2 billion in a new factory here only 3-4 years ago. FG Wilson is completely different from Bombardier.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member ArtyisBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coleraine
    Posts
    6,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Why is it in decline? Bombardier invested 1/2 billion in a new factory here only 3-4 years ago. FG Wilson is completely different from Bombardier.
    Duke opens 16m centre at FG Wilson - Local Businesses - Belfast Newsletter

    Love the line "we look forward to further development at Larne in the next few years,”
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member oxterSniffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Hina
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    I can see that - but they can be ran abroad too. And they are closer to the market and the industries that still require high labour and therefore cheap labour
    Indeed machines can be run abroad too, but the people who design many of the products manufacturered in China are mainly in the West. There are huge benefits in having a close link between those who design and their manufacture. Having had the personal experience myself of designing electronics and mechanical parts and then being in contact with factories in Ningbo, Taipei etc., I can attest that communications are an absolute nightmare, with many costly mistakes and delays being made when requesting things like product design revisions etc. Then there are the costly delays in shipping and all the effort wasted in organising this.

    The market is also global, with most of our products already being shipped in containers from China via Rotterdam as it is, so closeness to the market doesn't really cut it for me for most products as we already ARE closer to an end-market if made locally (FG Wilson not being the be-all-and-end-all here). We have a massive advantage also in speaking English, in being the lingua franca, and language of science and technology, as well as a marketing advantage in this respect.
    Ulaidh Go Bragh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •