Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK education sixth in global ranking, Ireland tenth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK education sixth in global ranking, Ireland tenth

Just noticed this on the BBC page, UK ranked 6th and Ireland at 10th. Does anyone remember where Ireland was the last time round?

Top 20 List
    Finland
    South Korea
    Hong Kong
    Japan
    Singapore
    UK
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Switzerland
    Canada
    Ireland
    Denmark
    Australia
    Poland
    Germany
    Belgium
    USA
    Hungary
    Slovakia
    Russia
    BBC News - UK education sixth in global ranking

Here is the Pearson Website http://thelearningcurve.pearson.com/

The UK's education system is ranked sixth best in the developed world, according to a global league table published by education firm Pearson.

The first and second places are taken by Finland and South Korea.

The rankings combine international test results and data such as graduation rates between 2006 and 2010.

Sir Michael Barber, Pearson's chief education adviser, says successful countries give teachers a high status and have a "culture" of education.

International comparisons in education have become increasingly significant - and this latest league table is based upon a series of global test results combined with measures of education systems, such as how many people go on to university.

This composite picture puts the UK in a stronger position than the influential Pisa tests from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - which is also one of the tests included in this ranking.

The weightings for the rankings have been produced for Pearson by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
    Interesting that the Finns have managed to keep the top spot, for what, three years now? Does anyone have any experience of their schools and can relate a few ancedots of what it's like?

The article offers this possible reason for high quality education
    Looking at education systems that succeed, the study concludes that spending is important, but not as much as having a culture that is supportive of learning.

It says that spending is easier to measure, but the more complex impact of a society's attitude to education can make a big difference.

The success of Asian countries in these rankings reflects the high value attached to education and the expectations of parents. This can continue to be a factor when families migrate to other countries, says the report accompanying the rankings.

Looking at the two top countries - Finland and South Korea - the report says that there are many big differences, but the common factor is a shared social belief in the importance of education and its "underlying moral purpose".
    Surly that's a common idea the world over?
    Last edited by Schomberg; 27th November 2012 at 11:38 AM.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    Just noticed this on the BBC page, UK ranked 6th and Ireland at 10th. Does anyone remember where Ireland was the last time round?

Top 20 List

BBC News - UK education sixth in global ranking

Interesting that the Finns have managed to keep the top spot, for what, three years now? Does anyone have any experience of their schools and can relate a few ancedots of what it's like?

The article offers this possible reason for high quality education

Surly that's a common idea the world over?
    no it's not at all

look at the many Arab nations that forbid education for Women

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    no it's not at all

Ok, touche, fair point. I should have limited myself to most petunia
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tenth? In the general scheme of things thats good isn't it, relatively speaking of course.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Tenth? In the general scheme of things thats good isn't it, relatively speaking of course.
    5th in Europe for Ireland and 2nd for the UK isn't too shabby at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good thread, thanks for highlighting this, would probably have missed it altogether.

Coincidentally, yesterday morning I caught the end of a radio broadcast on RnaG and there was a man talking about the crap standard of Irish that primary school teachers have. And thank God he sounded angry about it. I didn't catch his name but the point was that it doesn't matter what the curriculum, etc. is if the teacher doesn't even have any proper command of the language. And people wonder why they leave school after 14 years learning Irish not being able to speak it- it's pretty obvious national schools are not doing their job.
    Níl tairbhe sa tseanchas
    Nuair a bhíonn an anachain déanta

Dylan2010

I'd be curious what factors put these countries below Ireland? They must give languages a low weighting as anyone I've met from these countries can hold a conversation in English when most Irish kids couldnt do likewise in any language.

Denmark
    Germany
    Belgium

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is quite scary; we produce mono-lingual anglophones who don't get science and can't do maths and students through religious instruction are told what to think with little effort put into how to do so. Just how bad are the other countries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Especially our position when you consider that those in front have significantly stronger economies than our own. I know Nokia do loads for the Finish education system.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    no it's not at all

Which Arab nation forbids education for 'Women' (sic)? I can't think of any, let alone many. Even Saudi Arabia has women's universities.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast