Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Good news: 100 high quality IT jobs for central Belfast as US software firm invests

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Good news: 100 high quality IT jobs for central Belfast as US software firm invests

    BBC News - Concentrix Technologies creating 100 IT jobs in Belfast

    US software company Concentrix Technologies. This will generate salaries totalling £4million annually.

    Based at Lanyon Place near to Belfast's Waterfront Hall development.

    Much needed jobs at a time of austerity, showing the value of the GFA in bread-and-butter terms.

    #GFAdelivering.
    Last edited by factual; 26th November 2012 at 07:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Portadown madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Arty will not like that, I'm afraid. The more job losses in NI the better for him, that's his idea how a UI will come about.

    we all lose our jobs and look to the Republic for salvation.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portadown madman View Post
    Arty will not like that, I'm afraid. The more job losses in NI the better for him, that's his idea how a UI will come about.

    we all lose our jobs and look to the Republic for salvation.
    Would seem an odd route - we in Dublin would not be able to subsidise a heavy subvention. On the contrary the only way people are likely to choose a UI is if there is a strong economy north of the border.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Portadown madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    Would seem an odd route - we in Dublin would not be able to subsidise a heavy subvention. On the contrary the only way people are likely to choose a UI is if there is a strong economy north of the border.
    You only have to look at the thread he started the other day. in fact, don't bother.

    Anyway, Good to see jobs being created, no matter if it's 10 or 100, it's someone getting a salary

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portadown madman View Post
    You only have to look at the thread he started the other day. in fact, don't bother.

    Anyway, Good to see jobs being created, no matter if it's 10 or 100, it's someone getting a salary
    Its in an area - software - that Belfast is quite strong now in. It's also good to see the Waterfront area getting some jobs into those office blocks that have been built.

    Apparently NI has been getting a lot of inward investment. The private sector has a long way to go but it is at least moving in the right direction.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member ArtyisBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coleraine
    Posts
    6,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is precisely the type of sector that is needed to be developed. It is relatively high paid and therefore high tax generating. Belfast has small nucleus of software firms who are being subsidised heavily by Invest NI. Exactly what is needed to prime the pump for local job generation.

    Unfortunately there has not been enough of this development to offset the continuing decline of the more traditional industries.
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,985
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    This is precisely the type of sector that is needed to be developed. It is relatively high paid and therefore high tax generating. Belfast has small nucleus of software firms who are being subsidised heavily by Invest NI. Exactly what is needed to prime the pump for local job generation.

    Unfortunately there has not been enough of this development to offset the continuing decline of the more traditional industries.
    steady arty that was almost positive!!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Again it's a US company. What I'd like to see is more investment in indigenous companies on an All-Ireland basis. The IDA and Invest NI are both doing the same thing, ie, coaxing foreign companies into Ireland. Who's investing in locals who have the idea but not the funding? Enterpise Ireland is supposed to be doing this but has anyone any idea how many indigenous companies they have helped in the last 4 years? There are only interested in the export market for local companies and do not support those whose market is primarily local and national.

    I love to know the actual cost to the taxpayer for coaxing these companies into Ireland. 100,000 employed directly in the Rep in foreign companies, low corporation tax and even at that low rate, few are actually paying the that rate. Almost all of the profits sent out of the country. Are we getting a fair return?

    Am I the lone voice of concern?

    To pull all of Ireland out of this recession and to withstand future recessions better we need a strong and constantly evolving indigenous Irish companies committed to Ireland.

    NI just seems to be going down the same road as the Rep and becoming dependent on foreign companies for its source of employment.
    If we got rid of all the papists, there'd be no trouble whatsoever. The place will be nirvana. Schomberg.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runwiththewind View Post
    Again it's a US company. What I'd like to see is more investment in indigenous companies on an All-Ireland basis. The IDA and Invest NI are both doing the same thing, ie, coaxing foreign companies into Ireland. Who's investing in locals who have the idea but not the funding? Enterpise Ireland is supposed to be doing this but has anyone any idea how many indigenous companies they have helped in the last 4 years? There are only interested in the export market for local companies and do not support those whose market is primarily local and national.

    I love to know the actual cost to the taxpayer for coaxing these companies into Ireland. 100,000 employed directly in the Rep in foreign companies, low corporation tax and even at that low rate, few are actually paying the that rate. Almost all of the profits sent out of the country. Are we getting a fair return?

    Am I the lone voice of concern?

    To pull all of Ireland out of this recession and to withstand future recessions better we need a strong and constantly evolving indigenous Irish companies committed to Ireland.

    NI just seems to be going down the same road as the Rep and becoming dependent on foreign companies for its source of employment.
    There is a significant indigenous manufacturing sector up there - Shorts Aerospace, H&W wind turbines, Wrightbus bus manufacturing, etc. They have a tradition in engineering and are quite proud of it.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member drummed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgrade Serbia
    Posts
    37,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Not much good to me.
    Сохранить Украины

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •