Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for an outright ban on smoking?

Default Time for an outright ban on smoking?

BBC News - Smoking 'rots' brain, says King's College study

We've been pussyfooting around his issue for decades, but has the time come to finally deal with one of the biggest health issues of recent time. Surely its time for a full scale ban on the sale or importation of tobacco and its use in public.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Dylan2010

Buch better would be to make every teenage kid work in a cancer ward for part of their transition year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Haven't we got enough nanny statism already? And what's going to replace the tax take from tobacco over night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

We've been pussyfooting around his issue for decades, but has the time come to finally deal with one of the biggest health issues of recent time. Surely its time for a full scale ban on the sale or importation of tobacco and its use in public.
    How's the ban on Cannabis going?. Not too well and tobacco will go the same way if banned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The attitudes towards smoking are odd alright. I gave up smoking by switching to a Swedish tobacco product with virtually no negative side effects but for whatever reason the EU is on a serious crusade not to allow it for sale or distribution outside of Scandinavia.

I don't know if I buy the whole burden on the health services argument though, surly people dying younger puts less of a strain on the public than a population of ancients all needing constant care and attention? Most smokers who die from it, die from heart attacks or strokes, not long suffering cancer.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah because that is exactly what we need. Another illegal addictive substance and the opportunity for those not overly concerned with obeying the law to make fortunes through illicit importation. Wonderful suggestion. Sure why don't why just ban dying, or having poor health?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if it is banned it will just be brought in illegally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another scare story about smoking. If people are moronic enough to still smoke, or take up smoking, that's their problem. Why does Nanny State have to involve themselves in this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

Please do,

Is Weston Airport still on the market?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast