Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plethora of Polls out in IT Tomorrow on a Wide Range of Issues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Plethora of Polls out in IT Tomorrow on a Wide Range of Issues.

Majority backs same-sex union, poll indicates - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 26, 2012

Voters were asked how they would vote in the constitutional referendums planned during the Coalition’s lifetime.

On same-sex marriage 53 per cent said they would vote Yes while 30 per cent would vote No, while 17 per cent have no opinion. Women were significantly more in favour of the change than men and younger voters were the most enthusiastic. Voters over 55 are solidly opposed to the proposed change.
    The only proposed change that does not meet with public approval is to reduce the voting age to 17.
    On abolition of the Seanad 55 per cent said they would vote Yes, 22 per cent said No and 23 per cent had no opinion. There is an even spread of opinion on this issue across age, class and region. The Government has committed itself to holding a referendum on this issue and it will not be considered by the convention

The most popular proposal going before the convention is the one to give Irish citizens living abroad the right to vote in presidential elections. The response here was 68 per cent Yes and 17 per cent No.
    On the question of whether the reference to the woman’s life within the home should be removed from the Constitution the most striking finding was the number of people with no opinion.

A total of 41 per cent said the reference should be removed, while 19 per cent said it should not and 40 per cent had no opinion.
    Very interesting results there.

The poll was conducted among a representative sample of 1,000 voters aged 18 and over, in face-to-face interviews at 100 locations in all 43 constituencies.
    The margin of error is plus or minus 3 per cent.
    Last edited by ruserious; 26th November 2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The one about women in the home is a shocker. Perhaps it's male indifference to the issue. Surprised the other one's aren't higher yes% too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When I hear voters saying how they would vote, with no debate or knowing the wording, then all I can think is "I have a car I'd like to sell to you".

People who give such answers to pollsters are probably too stupid to find their way to the booth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You know the way these things go. When the actual wording comes out it's a different story. Then when the issues are teased out during the campaign the game changes again. Then finally on polling day about 30% bother to turn up.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    When I hear voters saying how they would vote, with no debate or knowing the wording, then all I can think is "I have a car I'd like to sell to you".

People who give such answers to pollsters are probably too stupid to find their way to the booth.
    That is why I have no time for or faith in any poll myself.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Majority backs same-sex union, poll indicates - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 26, 2012

Voters were asked how they would vote in the constitutional referendums planned during the Coalition’s lifetime.

The most popular proposal going before the convention is the one to give Irish citizens living abroad the right to vote in presidential elections. The response here was 68 per cent Yes and 17 per cent No
    Very interesting results here indeed and generally very positive results.

On the issue of giving Irish citizens abroad the right to vote, it would be interesting to see how that one would play out. Giving Irish citizens abroad the right to vote in Presidential elections would greatly enhance Sinn Feins chances of winning that office something I think the government would be loathe to do. I think the government would be more likely to enfranchise emigrants with a few TDs, maybe the establishment of a separate constituency for this but given the number of Irish emigrants around the world I wouldn't expect much more than a token nod.
    Last edited by NYCKY; 26th November 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The Irish Times are so socially liberal, they make the Guardian look like the bulletin of the Prayer Book Society.
    Are you alleging fraud in the poll ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The Irish Times are so socially liberal, they make the Guardian look like the bulletin of the Prayer Book Society.
    The Irish Times ? FFS the most useless rag on the market, it is Fooked and good riddance, give it about 2 years at most before it is just another online hawker looking for readers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know if there will be a party-support element to this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    Anyone know if there will be a party-support element to this?
    Sinn Fein down 3 points

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast