Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the State legislate to allow Muslims to take prayer breaks at work?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should the State legislate to allow Muslims to take prayer breaks at work?

Should the State legislate to allow Muslims to take prayer breaks at work?

My Son in Law is a Muslim and is quite devout in the practice of his faith. The practice of his faith requires that he prays 5 times each day at different times, in various different postures.

The times that he prays change each day according as to the movements of the Sun. He does not feel that the practice of him interupting his work schedule, to observe the devotions demanded by his faith, are accepted by his colleagues and management in his place of work.

He works in the HSE.

He is aware that his Christian colleagues, are called to prayer each day for the Angelus devotion and are facilitated in the workplace with colleagues interupting the work proceedures to observe the devotion.

I explained to him that as I understand matters, there is a right in the State by custom and practice to stop work and pray the Angelus. He considers it reasonable to be afforded a similar privilage to pray.

He believes the his colleagues would have a greater understanding of his spiritual needs if the Employers posted a time table for muslim prayer times in the workplace, just as they facilitate other religious icons in the HSE Buildings to assist the practice of Christian faith.

Should the Government legislate to allow Workers to pray at during work in the workplace?

Mullingar Ireland Accurate Prayer Times ????? ?????? , Qiblah, Qibla ????? ?????? Mosques (Masjids), Islamic Centers, Organizations and Muslim Owned Businesses, Athan Azan Adhan Salah Salat Software Sahor Sahar Imsak Iftar Starting Fast Breaking Fast

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...561097760.html
    Last edited by potholedogger; 26th November 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post

My Son in Law is a Muslim and is quite devout in the practice of his faith. The practice of his faith requires that he prays 5 times each day at different times, in various different postures.

The times that he prays change each day according as to the movements of the Sun. He does not feel that the practice of him interupting his work schedule, to observe the devotions demanded by his faith, are accepted by his colleagues and management in his place of work.

He works in the HSE.

He is aware that his Christian colleagues, are called to prayer each day for the Angelus devotion and are facilitated in the workplace with colleagues interupting the work proceedures to observe the devotion.

I explained to him that as I understand matters, there is a right in the State by custom and practice to stop work and pray the Angelus. He considers it reasonable to be afforded a similar privilage to pray.

He believes the his colleagues would have a greater understanding of his spiritual needs if the Employers posted a time table for muslim prayer times in the workplace, just as they facilitate other religious icons in the HSE Buildings to assist the practice of Christian faith.

Should the Government legislate to allow Workers to pray at during work in the workplace?

Mullingar Ireland Accurate Prayer Times ????? ?????? , Qiblah, Qibla ????? ?????? Mosques (Masjids), Islamic Centers, Organizations and Muslim Owned Businesses, Athan Azan Adhan Salah Salat Software Sahor Sahar Imsak Iftar Starting Fast Breaking Fast
    Aw would ya go away outta that, called to prayer....I don't recall that happening even in Secondary school....and they were brothers...

No, he should not have time off to pray, neither should anyone else either, you go to work to work, if that does not sit easy with him well he could consider a conversion, or moving to a more prayer friendly country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cue Muslim bashing orgy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He tells me that a case brought before the Australian Industrial Relations Commission, upheld the right of a Muslim to pray at work.

He believes he should take a similar case here.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He works in the HSE.

I have never in my 25 year professional life met anyone who stopped work to pray the Angelus.

Mind you I guess praying to sky fairies is no worse than people taking smoke breaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He works in the HSE.

I thought we were trying to get more PRODUCTIVITY under Croke Park Deal.
    The state cannot afford five prayer breaks a day when pay cannot be cut under CPA.

Short answer. NO WAY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok speaking as a rational atheist here...
    Yes he should be allowed to stop for prayer. But the total amount of hours worked each day should be the same as anyone else. He can work around that to the agreement of his line manager. Stay a bit later or something. Say each break lasts 10 minutes. 5 times a day, say 3 of them are in work. So that's half an hour he can make up at the start or end of the day.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShankillFalls View Post
    Mind you I guess praying to sky fairies is no worse than people taking smoke breaks.
    Indeed sometimes I used to join the smokers for a break. Who says you have to smoke to take a rauchspause.
    In one place, the company was secretly being run by the smoking cabal.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Errr religion is religion, WORK is WORK, the 2 should be separate.Time off for praying my backside, if you allow it for one religion then you have to allow it for all. And what about us poor atheists? We end up covering for other people while they "pray". GET REAL or get a job that allows people to take time off to pray when their hearts desire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[/url]
    Would you ever f off you lying bluffer. This does happen in any hospital nor any workplace in the country you turd.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast