Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding the 5000 Dublin

Default Feeding the 5000 Dublin

Hi I was just wondering if anyone attended this event yesterday or heard anything about how it went? Great initiative, long overdue...
    - Welcome to Feeding 5K Dublin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a brilliant way to address hunger. I imagine it has an education component to inform the public how to distinguish food that's gone off from food that is misshapen.
    Free speech doesn't exist. Anyone who doubts this and shoots off the mouth must be prepared to deal with the consequences, especially in Ireland. petunia

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_337 View Post
    Sounds like a brilliant way to address hunger. I imagine it has an education component to inform the public how to distinguish food that's gone off from food that is misshapen.
    Yes it does. Have a look at the bottom of the website homepage, there's a list of sponsors and their activities, much focused around education.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We could also stop dumping fish that has been caught back into the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by TimBuckII View Post
    We could also stop dumping fish that has been caught back into the ocean.
    Of course you're right, but that's a political/economic issue that can't be managed by a group of volunteers with a bit of funding from a few social/environmental groups. Yesterday's "Feeding the 5k" was a hands-on, making a difference in one's own community effort. At least I hope so. You see, I wasn't at it. That's why I'm asking if someone can tell us anything about it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't attend, but would ask if there is agitation to allow misshapen veg and the like to be sold in our shops.

In other words the EU regulations are going mad!

Are the misshapen and under regulation food dumped?

Tht is disgraceful if so.

A spud is a spud, and a carrot is a carrot,

But then again rules and regs keep th bureaucrats in Brussels in fine gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I didn't attend, but would ask if there is agitation to allow misshapen veg and the like to be sold in our shops.

I'd say it's more cosmetic considerations by the retailers, who only want "good looking" food on their shelves. Fair enough, if that's what they want. But the shame is that the rejected food up to now has been dumped instead of used elsewhere. Hopefully this practise is beginning to change.

Sounds like it did what it said on the tin:

Review of event

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great incentive. Any way that all those goods could be supplied directly to soup kitchens etc instead of being dumped ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post

Thats an interesting stream of consciousness there. And by 'stream of consciousness', I mean 'stream of diarrhoea'.

Congratulations on being misinformed, and barking mad.

Make

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast