Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Information thread: The ECHR is NOT an EU institution

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Information thread: The ECHR is NOT an EU institution

For the purpose of clearing up the confusion on the part of several posters:

The European Union is political/trading bloc of 27 members which can be said to have its origins in the Treaty of Rome, 1957. The court of the European Union is called the European Court of Justice (there is also a smaller 'General Court').

The Council of Europe is older, being formed in 1949. It has 47 members, including all the EU members but also others such as Russia, Turkey, the Balkan non EU countries, Iceland.. essentially all bar Belarus, Kazhakstan (which are dictatorships) and the Vatican (a theocracy), these, with others, having observer status. Its court, which is charged with implementing the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), is called the European Court of Human Rights. It is not to be confused with the European Council or the Council of the European Union, which are both EU bodies.

The Council of Europe and the ECtHR have nothing to do with the European Union (despite an overlap of membership).

Ireland is a member of both.

Any other confusions surrounding the EU or Council of Europe, whether within or between each, might usefully be addressed on this thread.
    Last edited by toxic avenger; 25th November 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm voting for the IRA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So do the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights apply to all those signatories i.e Turkey, Russia, and the Balkans??
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post

Any other confusions surrounding the EU or Council of Europe, whether within or between each, might usefully be addressed on this thread.
    None of this will matter when the next referendum is held, it will all be added as a reason to vote No.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Could this thread be made a sticky?

Done.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    So do the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights apply to all those signatories i.e Turkey, Russia, and the Balkans??
    Yes.

There has been much talk in Britain of repealing the 1998 Human Rights Act, which implemements the requirements of the ECHR in national law, but it's rather silly as they are bound by the rulings of the ECtHR anyway as signatories to the Convention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this is in response to my post earlier, which prompted seabhcan to say I was too dumb to post here, I GOT MIXED UP between the ECJ and ECHR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    If this is in response to my post earlier, which prompted seabhcan to say I was too dumb to post here, I GOT MIXED UP between the ECJ and ECHR.
    No, I know you meant the ECJ ruling, it's in response to several people earlier in the thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Yes.
    Mark Murray.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast