Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: High profile unionist claims "SF ahead of SDLP" on shared future

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default High profile unionist claims "SF ahead of SDLP" on shared future

    Interesting take 23 minutes in to this audioboo:

    Audioboo / Panel asking What is a Shared Future at DUP conference

    The high profile unionist claims that SF is ahead of the SDLP on a shared future.

    This is something that is very interesting - that unionists see SF as ahead of the SDLP on a shared future - perhaps a sign that SF's outreach work is starting to work much better than the sceptics on this forum have given credit for.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member physicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Was it Ian Og? Sure isn't he just tired of fighting now?

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWl6T0-sGeY

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    County Armagh, Ireland
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Look at it this way Factual.
    Why would DUP be bigging up Sinn Féin? Why would they prefer to deal with SF than SDLP?
    Of course DUP might be totally genuine in their outreach and SF are better "partners". Or they might just think "SF" is a softer touch.
    Either might be correct. But a good rule of thumb........is not to accept what any partisan....including myself says.....but rather think "Who is this person.....Why is this person saying this???".
    Certainly dont take it face value.
    Again nobody should take the Lucid Talk poll in Bel Tele all that seriously......but given that Robinson is trying to convince his people that 7% in Norn Iron favour a United Ireland........again WHY would he say that?
    In part he wants them to think that they should back "outreach" because DUP can offer concessions cos Union is "safe".
    But consider the other side ......that 7% whether true or not is at a time when Sinn Féin are the prime nationalist party. Thats not a good performance on "SFs watch".

    I am not for one moment suggesting that its true or untrue.
    Just never take anything at face value.
    DUP put this view into the public domain for a reason and will be delighted people believe it.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bloomsbury, Central London
    Posts
    8,750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FitzjamesHorse View Post
    Look at it this way Factual.
    Why would DUP be bigging up Sinn Féin? Why would they prefer to deal with SF than SDLP?
    Of course DUP might be totally genuine in their outreach and SF are better "partners". Or they might just think "SF" is a softer touch.
    Either might be correct. But a good rule of thumb........is not to accept what any partisan....including myself says.....but rather think "Who is this person.....Why is this person saying this???".
    Certainly dont take it face value.
    Again nobody should take the Lucid Talk poll in Bel Tele all that seriously......but given that Robinson is trying to convince his people that 7% in Norn Iron favour a United Ireland........again WHY would he say that?
    In part he wants them to think that they should back "outreach" because DUP can offer concessions cos Union is "safe".
    But consider the other side ......that 7% whether true or not is at a time when Sinn Féin are the prime nationalist party. Thats not a good performance on "SFs watch".

    I am not for one moment suggesting that its true or untrue.
    Just never take anything at face value.
    DUP put this view into the public domain for a reason and will be delighted people believe it.
    First off - simple explanations are often the most likely. And the simple explanation is that SF is a good party to do business with. Call it a roll-up sleeves attitude to work. Call it ability to cooperate and work with unionists. Either way it results in delivery. Compared to the stagnation, haituses, and suspensions that occurred under the SDLP's watch. Better government yields investment. And we have seen some major corporate investments over recent days.

    Second off - the reaction of the DUP in which they thought SF better on a shared future is also quite likely because SF do take unionist outreach seriously. SF have a Unionist Engagement Charter which sets out a framework for this to take place:

    http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2009/UnionistCharter.pdf

    Others have poured scorn on this, but that is because it is is innovative and forward thinking, and it takes time for people to come on board.

    Gerry Adams has stated that unionist engagement is the most important work that SF is doing north of the border.

    Finally and perhaps most important of all, SF are better on a shared future than the SDLP because the SDLP are obsessed with their decline and they do not have the necessary confidence to push forward on the shared future agenda.

    They think that to do so would be a sign of weakness. SF do not have this problem.



    Finally do you know when the next Lucid Talk poll is out? I gather that one is imminent. Will be interesting to see if SDLP do any better in this one.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere!
    Posts
    21,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FitzjamesHorse View Post
    Look at it this way Factual.
    Why would DUP be bigging up Sinn Féin? Why would they prefer to deal with SF than SDLP?
    Of course DUP might be totally genuine in their outreach and SF are better "partners". Or they might just think "SF" is a softer touch.
    Either might be correct. But a good rule of thumb........is not to accept what any partisan....including myself says.....but rather think "Who is this person.....Why is this person saying this???".
    Certainly dont take it face value.
    Again nobody should take the Lucid Talk poll in Bel Tele all that seriously......but given that Robinson is trying to convince his people that 7% in Norn Iron favour a United Ireland........again WHY would he say that?
    In part he wants them to think that they should back "outreach" because DUP can offer concessions cos Union is "safe".
    But consider the other side ......that 7% whether true or not is at a time when Sinn Féin are the prime nationalist party. Thats not a good performance on "SFs watch".

    I am not for one moment suggesting that its true or untrue.
    Just never take anything at face value.
    DUP put this view into the public domain for a reason and will be delighted people believe it.
    The Poll was a scam, they knew a UI was not practical in the morning, hence the seven percent garbage, the guy who owns the company is UUP ffs. Most people realise that a UI is at least 20 years off, the percentage rose to 37 percent support for a UI in that time frame, which sounds slightly closer to the truth.

    My poll, elections, shows 42% voting for two parties whose stated central aim is a UI, that's good enough for me, for now.

    Think about this telephone poll, like, who has a land-line phone these days? A very particular demographic, rendering this poll pretty useless anyway.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Mickeymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    The Poll was a scam, they knew a UI was not practical in the morning, hence the seven percent garbage, the guy who owns the company is UUP ffs. Most people realise that a UI is at least 20 years off, the percentage rose to 37 percent support for a UI in that time frame, which sounds slightly closer to the truth.

    My poll, elections, shows 42% voting for two parties whose stated central aim is a UI, that's good enough for me, for now.

    Think about this telephone poll, like, who has a land-line phone these days? A very particular demographic, rendering this poll pretty useless anyway.

    Indeed IID, unionist polls are mere messages of encouragement to their electorate that a UI will never happen.

    Elections, as you say are the only true poll, for my part, the Scottish upcoming vote will have a huge influence on the outcome of an early poll on Irish unity.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere!
    Posts
    21,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    On the op and SF and the SDLP, it's pretty obvious stuff, with power comes responsibility and the need for pragmatism. It's a lot easier to snipe from the side lines.

    When in power you have to mature pretty quickly, starting petty fights with Unionists over the likes of parades will achieve nothing for SF.

    SF are after votes in the south, if they have to bend a few principals for the optics in order to get them, then so be it, that's politics. More power in the south is worth it in my opinion, if they get something like 18pc in the south they'll become the biggest party on the island. As a United Irelander, I want the party that seeks a UI more than any other, to have the most power. SDLP can't do this because they only organise in a fraction of the country.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere!
    Posts
    21,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    Indeed IID, unionist polls are mere messages of encouragement to their electorate that a UI will never happen.

    Elections, as you say are the only true poll, for my part, the Scottish upcoming vote will have a huge influence on the outcome of an early poll on Irish unity.
    I don't think the Scots will vote yes tbh, it will be close but I think they'll vote no, either way it will have ramifications for the UK. I'm not to bothered about an early poll, better to wait to the economic crisis calms down first imo.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Mickeymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    On the op and SF and the SDLP, it's pretty obvious stuff, with power comes responsibility and the need for pragmatism. It's a lot easier to snipe from the side lines.

    When in power you have to mature pretty quickly, starting petty fights with Unionists over the likes of parades will achieve nothing for SF.

    SF are after votes in the south, if they have to bend a few principals for the optics in order to get them, then so be it, that's politics. More power in the south is worth it in my opinion, if they get something like 18pc in the south they'll become the biggest party on the island. As a United Irelander, I want the party that seeks a UI more than any other, to have the most power. SDLP can't do this because they only organise in a fraction of the country.

    Pragmatism is certainly the name of the game in these times, SF have certainly taken that on board unlike their partners in power-sharing.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Mickeymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    I don't think the Scots will vote yes tbh, it will be close but I think they'll vote no, either way it will have ramifications for the UK. I'm not to bothered about an early poll, better to wait to the economic crisis calms down first imo.

    If the Scot vote is close or a yes, I will bet my bottom dollar that a poll for Ireland will be demanded regardless of the economy there.


    Btw, see your point, but I only offered my personal opinion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •