Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Ireland's EU Presidency 2013-challenges

birthday

Default Ireland's EU Presidency 2013-challenges

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&...dhcxj8_tNurRIg
    Kenny faces nightmare start to EU presidency after budget talks fail

I understand there have been two other threads on this topic focussing on how much the six month term of Ireland's presidency will cost.

A wider discussion on the challenges facing the Irish presidency is worthwhile in my opinion.

Are there any positive outcomes likely to arise that could benefit the nation if it is carried off well?

What defines a successful presidency?

If the six month term is deemed to be unsuccessful, might that impact on our fortunes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    Kenny faces nightmare start to EU presidency after budget talks fail - National News - Independent.ie

I understand there have been two other threads on this topic focussing on how much the six month term of Ireland's presidency will cost.

A wider discussion on the challenges facing the Irish presidency is worthwhile in my opinion.
    1. Are there any positive outcomes likely to arise that could benefit the nation if it is carried off well?
    2. What defines a successful presidency?
    3. If the six month term is deemed to be unsuccessful, might that impact on our fortunes?
    Define "positive outcomes" and "benefit the nation". Also please explain what you mean by "carried off well". Any agenda the Presidency assumes is that submitted by the Commission, a body whose members have sworn oaths to favour only the European agenda; therefore, any "Irish agenda" (i.e. agenda that benefits Ireland in particular) is not something that is even part of the process.
    "Laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt." —Tacitus

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    Define "positive outcomes" and "benefit the nation". Also please explain what you mean by "carried off well". Any agenda the Presidency assumes is that submitted by the Commission, a body whose members have sworn oaths to favour only the European agenda; therefore, any "Irish agenda" (i.e. agenda that benefits Ireland in particular) is not something that is even part of the process.
    The Government has agenda setting powers in the Council and is expected to take the initiative in reaching compromises. It's also an opportunity to champion a particular policy that is making its way through the legislative process at the time.

Responding to the OP:

I don't think there is much of a chance for the Government to resolve the budget issue. The Government will be looking to protect the single farm payment while Germany, UK, Sweden and others proposing cuts want to cut the single farm payment and focus more money on innovation and sustainability. Cyprus had proposed the reverse cut innovation and protect SFP but that was shot down quickly.

If during Ireland's presidency cuts to the single farm payment were agreed it would be extremely damaging for Fine Gael. I am always surprised the analysis and detail that local papers and farming publications manage when analysing CAP and related policy negotiations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a big deal anymore though. When the heads of government meet it's chaired by the president of the European Council. I doubt if Enda would be too disappointed.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kvran View Post
    The Government has agenda setting powers in the Council and is expected to take the initiative in reaching compromises. It's also an opportunity to champion a particular policy that is making its way through the legislative process at the time.
    Does any sane person believe this EU sh1te anymore?

Ireland is bankcrupt and it's involvement with the developing european state and membership of the euro currency are much to blame for that.

Only dodgy polititicians and european carreerists continue to promote the eu as an entity.

I expect the EU to disintegrate fairly fast.

The euro currency is a problem but financial markets are remarkably adept at change.