Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: Irish TV programs - a neglected export opportunity?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Irish TV programs - a neglected export opportunity?

    This thread is partly for the purposes of seeking information but also for discussing how Irish broadcasters might be missing out on a source of revenue. I'm interested in finding out how many and which Irish TV programs have been exported and shown abroad over the years.

    It is - in my humble opinion - a neglected area. Literature, music and theatre get far more attention despite the fact that the medium of television has a much greater reach.

    It's a very effective means of challenging stereotypes of a country (something which the rash of Australian soaps don't seek to do!) and where appropriate, portraying a positive image.

    I'm aware that Love/Hate has got some exposure abroad. The Clinic has also been sold to a few European countries. Are these the only ones in recent years? Raw doesn't seem to have been sold abroad despite showing the sort of production values I'd regard as being of an international standard. I recall how the Lyrics Board was a reasonable success and the format was adopted in about a dozen countries. In the dim and distant past, there was Strumpet City. Can anyone add to the list?

    This article might offer a way forward for RTÉ should they be looking for ways to wean themselves off their reliance on the public purse.

    A clue for RTÉ in Danish drama series - The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 17, 2012
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member revolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    moyvalley
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Read the other day that love/hate is being shown in australia and south korea

  3. #3

    Default

    Wasn't 'The Lyrics Boards' a big Irish TV export success (the concept, rather than the actual Irish shows, I think), so I'd heard in a few places?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Debater
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here there and everywhere.
    Posts
    40,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There are huge costs concerned when exporting home-produced stuff such as documentaries. Music royalties are one cost. It's far cheaper to use existing music and pay the royalties when broadcasting in the Irish market than to produce music just for the documentary.

    When you go abroad with the same programme the cost of royalties shoot up.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Most Irish TV output is awful and anyone with real talent goes to work in the UK.

  6. #6
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    much better to shut RTE down and reduce imports and paying twice for all the content twice.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Heligoland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I predict in a short while that a poster with a username beginning with A will make a point drawing a comparison between the state broadcaster and a famous Russian newspaper.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revolution View Post
    Read the other day that love/hate is being shown in australia and south korea
    Oh, that's good. I'd heard it was being shown on some Scottish channel.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Most Irish TV output is awful and anyone with real talent goes to work in the UK.
    Ah yes, the Labour Party and its members once again fighting for the cause of Irish workers
    "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots" - Marcus Garvey

  10. #10
    MrFunkyBoogaloo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    This thread is partly for the purposes of seeking information but also for discussing how Irish broadcasters might be missing out on a source of revenue. I'm interested in finding out how many and which Irish TV programs have been exported and shown abroad over the years.

    It is - in my humble opinion - a neglected area. Literature, music and theatre get far more attention despite the fact that the medium of television has a much greater reach.

    It's a very effective means of challenging stereotypes of a country (something which the rash of Australian soaps don't seek to do!) and where appropriate, portraying a positive image.

    I'm aware that Love/Hate has got some exposure abroad. The Clinic has also been sold to a few European countries. Are these the only ones in recent years? Raw doesn't seem to have been sold abroad despite showing the sort of production values I'd regard as being of an international standard. I recall how the Lyrics Board was a reasonable success and the format was adopted in about a dozen countries. In the dim and distant past, there was Strumpet City. Can anyone add to the list?

    This article might offer a way forward for RTÉ should they be looking for ways to wean themselves off their reliance on the public purse.

    A clue for RTÉ in Danish drama series - The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 17, 2012
    I've long since abandoned RTÉ (and the TV license subsequently) but the last really well produced show I remember was one by the name of 'Proof'; first shown in 2004. It was funded and produced by both RTÉ and TV2 (part-funded by Irish and Danish taxpayers respectively) but received critical claim and was shown in other countries.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •