Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Foster kids removed because of foster parents' politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Foster kids removed because of foster parents' politics.

I remember reading somewhere in the run up to the last referendum that people were worried that the state would take away their children because of their political views. It struck me at the time as being highly unlikely that such a thing would ever happen but here in this case, as read in the Telegraph, exactly that has happened. Very well, here the parents were foster parents but still the dynamics are easy to recognise, and with this story in mind it's now becoming easier for me to understand those muted fears from before the Referendum.

Foster parents 'stigmatised and slandered’ for being members of Ukip - Telegraph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post
    Yeah, I just posted this about it on another thread:
    [B]

(note that her great defense against this insanity is " but,but, I have mixed races in my family, I can't be racist ")
    Ah, what a sad time we live in.
    Excuse me Alara, I didn't know you have posted on the matter.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Typical Telegraph/Mail type sensationalist nonesense.

They are only able to effectively give one side of the story, as the local authority cannot say too much for legal reasons of confidentiality.

People having foster children removed for being members of a mainstream political party would be illegal for start.

“Then one of them said, 'Well, Ukip have got racist policies’. The implication was that we were racist. [The social worker] said Ukip does not like European people and wants them all out of the country to be returned to their own countries.
    Somehow I do not think if social workers were engaging in such an illegal removal they would be so stupid as too openly state that.
    I am in line for a smiting probably sooner than I expect. Apparently.

The story is hopelessly one-sided, treating the unsubstantiated claims of the foster parents as though they are fact.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    The story is hopelessly one-sided, treating the unsubstantiated claims of the foster parents as though they are fact.
    I'm glad you don't approve of rushing to judgement without getting all the facts of a case...

Quote Originally Posted by Texal Tom View Post
    I'm glad you don't approve of rushing to judgement without getting all the facts of a case...
    Eh?
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a member of UKIP and I'm not a racist. There are no racists in our party. We do not allow anyone who has EVER been a member of any racist party or organisation (EDL, BNP etc) to join us.

This is an outrage. The people responsible needs to be fired and banned from ever holding any similar position ever again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1. UKIP aren't a racist party.
    2. Even if UKIP had racist policies, its still a lawful party and that in and of itself shouldn't be enough to disqualify people from fostering.
    3. There's only one side of the story portrayed in the article, and only the word of he foster parents word that this is why they were discounted. No one in their right mind can make a judgement on the situation based on this article.
    4. UKIP asking for a "decree" from the government that they're not a racist party is the stupidest part of the entire tale.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    1. UKIP aren't a racist party.
    2. Even if UKIP had racist policies, its still a lawful party and that in and of itself shouldn't be enough to disqualify people from fostering.
    3. There's only one side of the story portrayed in the article, and only the word of he foster parents word that this is why they were discounted. No one in their right mind can make a judgement on the situation based on this article.
    4. UKIP asking for a "decree" from the government that they're not a racist party is the stupidest part of the entire tale.
    I disagree with 2. Belonging to a racist party should definitely bar anyone from fostering children. Racists aren't born, they are made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(1) This is in the UK and totally irrelevant to our recent referendum, despite the OP's linking of the 2.
    (2) These are foster parents. Not parents at all but minders. Again totally irrelevant to any discussion about parents' rights.
    (3) Not racist? They are more subtle than the BNP, I'll give them that. What to UKIP say to BNP? "Shhh!"
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast