Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Xmas in Naas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Xmas in Naas

It's that time of year again when the local Chamber of Commerce joins forces with the local Council to extol us to spend our hard earned money in Naas and its environs.
    This campaign takes the form of leafleting, poster advertising, free parking at weekends in council-owned car parks (of which there are very few spaces), and a loop of Xmas tunes played unendingly over a dodgy PA on the Main Street. How anyone thinks it adds to the festive atmosphere to hear Slade's "merry Xmas everybody" or Wizzard's "I wish it could be Xmas everyday", about 10 times a day is a mystery. I think it drives any right-thinking person bananas. I would never encourage vandalism but if someone cut the wires to the speakers I, for one, would see this as an act of civic pride.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    It's that time of year again when the local Chamber of Commerce joins forces with the local Council to extol us to spend our hard earned money in Naas and its environs.
    This campaign takes the form of leafleting, poster advertising, free parking at weekends in council-owned car parks (of which there are very few spaces), and a loop of Xmas tunes played unendingly over a dodgy PA on the Main Street. How anyone thinks it adds to the festive atmosphere to hear Slade's "merry Xmas everybody" or Wizzard's "I wish it could be Xmas everyday", about 10 times a day is a mystery. I think it drives any right-thinking person bananas. I would never encourage vandalism but if someone cut the wires to the speakers I, for one, would see this as an act of civic pride.
    You lilies deserve it, enjoy!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never mind Naas the family down the road from me did their house and lawn up to the nines for christmas last weekend!
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    Never mind Naas the family down the road from me did their house and lawn up to the nines for christmas last weekend!
    was it something like this?
    Gemakzucht.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    There goes the neighbourhood. Seems the lower on the evolutionary scale the more tacky the display

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I think it drives any right-thinking person bananas.
    Hear hear! While the phrase "right-thinking person" is normally one I wouldn't touch with a ten foot bargepole, in this case I think it might just be justified.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets pass a law stating that christmas advertisement should be prohibited before the 1st of December. But then again would this reduce the number of seasonal workers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A man I knew used to recite a ditty that began "The town of Naas is a terrible place, and Trim is twice as bad". or was it Kilcock?
    Christmas has definitely come earlier this year. Saw a house with Xmas decorations last weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The "music" in Naas has now had the volume increased. Obviously some brain donor thought this added to the Xmas cheer whereas the opposite is the case. This really is aural pollution. The choice of music is bad enough but the quality of the sound is atrocious. Going through the town last night at 10PM it was still playing. This really is horrendous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here we are a year later and I have just strolled up past the empty, and some derelict, properties on Main Street and again, am regaled with the Xmas music that was inflicted on us last year. I do not know who is responsible for this aural pollution, I assume it is either the Town Council or the local chamber, but if this is their response to the recession and a bid to encourage visitors it is pretty feeble and uninspiring.
    "Let's be fair about it, we all partied" St. Brian Lenihan November 17th 2010

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast