Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minister for Finance mostly bothered about "beating" Dublin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Minister for Finance mostly bothered about "beating" Dublin

I know this was intended for parochial consumption; It’s unfortunate that the Interweb allows us to see what Government Ministers say to the crowd back home.
    Vacant Dell building is lined up for 400 call centre jobs - Business - Limerick Leader

In his speech last Friday, Mr Noonan said that Limerick could make huge strides in attracting companies in the financial services sector because the cost base here is considerably lower than in Dublin. He also referred to “the availability of bright people out in LIT, and the university” and on challenging Dublin for jobs in this growing area he said: “We will beat them, and on the lifestyle, we will beat them at that too.”
    Is there any chance of him altering his spin, and directing the locals to the common need for Ireland to “beat” international competition, rather than pandering to old themes?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am sure it's about tone. The piece might not have conveyed that very well. Noonan is well known for his dry sense of humour; he was probably meaning it light-heartedly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Schuhart

Give it a rest. Dublin does not = Ireland.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Limerick is in a desperate situation with regards to unemployment. Last I heard it was a three way competition between Donegal, Waterford and Limerick for having the most severe unemployment rate in the country.

Still his comment is not particularly bright.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clytaemnestra View Post
    I am sure it's about tone. The piece might not have conveyed that very well. Noonan is well known for his dry sense of humour; he was probably meaning it light-heartedly.
    Yep - there might be a special allowence for being a comic as well, at this stage it would not surprise me........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about not even being bothered about "beating" anyone; just doing well enough to stand on our own feet for now.
    If they come to ethnically cleanse me, Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
    Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright, Trampled underfoot by the rise of the right

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    I know this was intended for parochial consumption; It’s unfortunate that the Interweb allows us to see what Government Ministers say to the crowd back home.
    Is there any chance of him altering his spin, and directing the locals to the common need for Ireland to “beat” international competition, rather than pandering to old themes?
    Perhaps if you read the article properly you would see that potential jobs mentioned are not from a multinational company but from an indigenous one, therefore any competition for its location would be internal and jobs are needed in Limerick just as much as elsewhere in the country.

While the identity of the new employer lined up for the the giant and empty building at the Raheen industrial estate remains under wraps, the Leader can confirm that it is not a multinational company and that the new venture is an indigenous one, with a major requirement for front-office and call-centre operations.
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    Schuhart

Give it a rest. Dublin does not = Ireland.
    I didn't read it as that. If that's Schuart's subtext I certainly disagree & yes I know he has form.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What this thread does tell me is that despite the hype, our GNP is still falling, our debt level from the bank bailout (of French & German banks) is unsustainable. This has an impact on our country, our people & society - a terrible impact.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    So you are against competition now?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast