Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Uganda's "kill the gays" bill retuns, Passage Imminent!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Uganda's "kill the gays" bill retuns & its Passage is Imminent

Uganda's so-called "kill the gays" bill is poised for debate in parliament and LGBT rights groups in Uganda are pleading for the world to take notice and action. Christian clerics at a recent meeting in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, have asked the speaker, Rebecca Kadaga, to pass the law as "a Christmas gift." Kadaga echoed that sentiment in a conversation with Reuters.

The bill could come up as early as today:

The proposed legislation could come up for debate in the next few days after it was included as the third item on Thursday's order paper for parliamentary business, said Helen Kawesa.

Among the bill's provisions, according to an email from Sexual Minorities Uganda's Frank Mugisha:

"Any person alleged to be homosexual would be at risk of life imprisonment or in some circumstances the death penalty"

"Any parent who does not denounce their lesbian daughter or gay son to the authorities would face fines of $2,650 or three years in prison"

"Any teacher who does not report a lesbian or gay pupil to the authorities within 24 hours would face the same penalties"

"And any landlord or landlady who happens to give housing to a suspected homosexual would risk 7 years of imprisonment"

Similarly, the Bill threatens to punish or ruin the reputation of anyone who works with the gay or lesbian population, such as medical doctors working on HIV/AIDS, Civil Society leaders active in the fields of sexual and reproductive health; or even religious leaders providing guidance and counseling to people who are unsure of their sexuality or any other consultations. There are claims that the bill has been watered down, however we reiterate our position that we condemn this bill in its entirety.

The existing law has already been employed in an arbitrary way, and this Bill will just intensify that effect.
    Adds Mugisha in the email: "All of the offences covered by the Bill as drafted can be applied to a Ugandan citizen who allegedly commits them - even outside the country of Uganda! At the very least, the bill violates all principle human rights and if enacted, it would contravene 8 articles of Uganda's own constitution. It not only violates the Constitution of Uganda but Uganda's international human rights obligations, and also stifles debate, undermines Civil Society and demeans the common citizenship of all Ugandans."
    Full story: towleroad.com - Ugandan Passage of 'Kill the Gays' Bill Imminent, Activists Fear

My Comments:

1) This bill is a homophobic disgrace!!

2) We (& every other civilized country) should immediately cut off all political ties and financial aid to this country if it passes this inhuman bill

3) Gay Ugandans fleeing their country should be given refuge as sending them back would be a death sentence!!

4) If this passes when innocent Ugandans are hurt by it the Ugandan goverment officials (and the American anti gay groups who helped pass this) should face crimes against humanity trials in an international court

& Before anybody come here and berates me for not minding my own business, look at the details of the bill and see the inhumanity in it
    Last edited by USER1234; 23rd November 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

& Before anybody come here and berates me for not minding my own business, look at the details of the bill and see the inhumanity in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From 5 to 8 March 2009, a workshop took place in Kampala, the capital of Uganda, that featured three American evangelical Christians: Scott Lively, an author who has written several books opposing homosexuality; Caleb Lee Brundidge, a self-professed former gay man who conducts sessions to heal homosexuality; and Don Schmierer, a board member of Exodus International, an organisation devoted to promoting "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ"
    The theme of the conference, according to The New York Times, was the "gay agenda": "how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how 'the gay movement is an evil institution' whose goal is 'to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity' ".[12] An Anglican priest from Zambia named Kapya Kaoma was in attendance, and reported on the conference. Ugandan Stephen Langa organised it, and was supported by Lively, who asserted in his workshops that homosexuality was akin to child molestation and bestiality, and causes higher rates of divorce and HIV transmission. Lively's emphasis was on the cohesion of the African family, that he said was being threatened by "homosexuals looking to recruit youth into their ranks"
    Somehow I don't think Jesus Christ would approve.

Nutjobs.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of using aid as a weapon. With that said, by failing to respect the fundamental rights of all its citizens in such an extreme and systematic way, Uganda may be liable to be regarded as a failed state and treated accordingly.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I'm not comfortable with the idea of using aid as a weapon. With that said, by failing to respect the fundamental rights of all its citizens in such an extreme and systematic way, Uganda may be liable to be regarded as a failed state and treated accordingly.
    Why not, they behave in a way that is acceptable internationally otherwise we refuse to fund their despotic regime, anyway after the 4m disappearance we are removing our aid and were not the only country!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only way to civilise them would be to invade. I wholeheartedly would support such and believe it is our moral duty to rescue Ugandans from their failed state
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    The only way to civilise them would be to invade. I wholeheartedly would support such and believe it is our moral duty to rescue Ugandans from their failed state
    And the nutjob American loo lahs that are exploiting the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by USER1234 View Post
    Why not, they behave in a way that is acceptable internationally otherwise we refuse to fund their despotic regime, anyway after the 4m disappearance we are removing our aid and were not the only country!!!
    We can find ways to use aid effectively which bypasses the Ugandan government.

The government are the ones responsible for the law, but they will not be the ones to suffer if aid is withdrawn.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't the Ugandan government the one who managed to 'lose' E4000,000 provided by the Irish government.

Since the Ugandans need aid it might be possible for international nudging and winking to include a heavy nudge in the direction of what aid is for, who qualifies for it - and how quickly it can stop.

Its not a question of debate it won't work. Its about whoever has the heaviest wallet has the most clout.
    Its Up to ME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We can find ways to use aid effectively which bypasses the Ugandan government.
    Im sure we could and that would be a much better way!!!

The government are the ones responsible for the law, but they will not be the ones to suffer if aid is withdrawn.
    The money seems to go into the governments pockets rather than to aid to the people anyway!!!!
    Last edited by USER1234; 23rd November 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast