Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for pro-choice people: Is the jailing of Sarah Catt wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question for pro-choice people: Is the jailing of Sarah Catt wrong?

Two months ago in the UK, Sarah Catt, a 35-year old from North Yorkshire was jailed for 8 years after she aborted her baby at 39 weeks using a drug she purchased on the internet.

The presiding Judge had the following to say about Catt's abortion decision:

“There is no reason to believe you could not have delivered a healthy baby boy.

“What you have done is rob an apparently healthy child, vulnerable and helpless, of the life he was about to commence.

“All right-thinking people would consider this more serious than manslaughter, or any other offence other than murder.”
    Full story here: Mother jailed for eight years after aborting baby at 39 weeks - Daily Record

Her prosecution and conviction is legally sound as abortions after 24 weeks are illegal in the UK but this goes fundamentally against the central argument of the pro-choice/pro-abortion lobby, summed up by Vincent Browne in his Irish Times column yesterday:

"The unborn do not have an unqualified right to life: that qualification centres crucially on the pregnant woman and only she should decide."

Sarah Catt made her decision - she told nobody else about her plan to abort her baby at 39 weeks - only she decided - in a 'cold and calculating manner' according to Police.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've often wondered at what point (if any) supporters of so-called "abortion on demand" think that it becomes unacceptable to perform an abortion.

Right up to the point of birth? Or....?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    I've often wondered at what point (if any) supporters of so-called "abortion on demand" think that it becomes unacceptable to perform an abortion.

Have you ever seen a single person on this board advocate abortion in the 9th month? Have you seen ANY pro choice group do so? If not then isn't your question pretty stupid and baseless?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post

Seems to me that most of the people who call it abortion on demand are anti abortion people.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are my thoughts on the matter:

my position on abortion/termination was set out earlier. Women should have the choice until some point between week 10 and week 16. I need to research the matter further before deciding on the exact week I believe they should be allowed to have an abortion. Beyond week 16, there may be instances of risk to health and life of the mother where it is justifiable.
    That quote is from the thread linked below, and if you are really interested, there is a lengthy discussion on the matter there.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-...ml#post6053957
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Silly question no pro-choice people would agree with this. She is in prison. What she did is illegal

Dylan2010

I dont see that the case says much. The question really is, would a doctor perform the above and I think any medical association worth its salt would not allow this.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Have you ever seen a single person on this board advocate abortion in the 9th month? Have you seen ANY pro choice group do so? If not then isn't your question pretty stupid and baseless?
    My point is that I haven't seen any pro-choice advocate draw a distinct line anywhere. It's a legitimate question surely? Pro-choice advocates are usually so definite in their statements, but this is one area where they seem to be fuzzy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is any pro choice group defending her or campaigning for her release?

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast