Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Fallout from the Halappanavar Affair?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Political Fallout from the Halappanavar Affair?

This thread is NOT for the discussion around the circumstances around Savita's death or about abortion.
    It is for discussion surrounding the political fallout, real or percieved of this whole sorry and sad affair!!
    Will there be a head on a plate?
    Reilly is under significant pressures as it is.
    Will this be the final nail??

We know that there is differences of opinion between FG and labour on the issues surrounding abortion legislation...this cannot help!!

We have seen in the past that small things can trip up governments. This week is turning into a political nightmare for the government on a national and international level!

Could this see a fall of the government??

Or with the budget coming up...will this all be forgotten?
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good points raised in the OP....

We have seen smaller things trip up governments before and personally i believe Labour will be decimated in any snap election especially in the Dublin area.....

If Martin and Kenny could do business anything is possible,dunno if many FFer's could stomach the thought of being in government without the top job....... but anything hobbled together with FF and SF and some independents is doomed to failure.....i think we would end up to a similar situation we had in the early 80's of elections every few months....

Who knows..the Galway business plus the budget could be the tipping point....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe Martin and Kenny could do business. It would probely be a good thing for the Country in the long run. I also think given the chance Martin would jump at it, other wise he will little chance to be in Goverment, before his time is up. F F rising in the polls at the moment, but it will eventually level out and stop rising. Then like Enda, people in FF will begin to say we will have to dump Martin, because of his links to the past. It would take FF at least ten years to get back to where they were, prior last election, if ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the relevant parties will use this issue to the maxim in order to sidetrack from the fact that many more people are and will suffer because of the I am alright Jack and screw you decisions come policy's that have and are about to be taken to the detriment of society as a whole.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is not a snowball's chance in hell of Kenny and Martin 'doing business'. None. Nada. Ziltch.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post

It could result in a fall. The budget is going to be brutal and will probably finish Labour as a major party for at least a generation. The abortion issue gives them some wriggle-room to walk on an issue of morality rather than sheer cowardice. It could develop into a perfect storm over the next few days now that el Presidente has weighed in on the argument. The nutters in each party are the ones who will decide things.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    It could result in a fall. The budget is going to be brutal and will probably finish Labour as a major party for at least a generation. The abortion issue gives them some wriggle-room to walk on an issue of morality rather than sheer cowardice. It could develop into a perfect storm over the next few days now that el Presidente has weighed in on the argument.

Regards...jmcc
    This would be the Labour Party that's still polling comfortably above its long-term trend. Your constant fantasising about their poll ratings is getting silly at this stage.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    Who knows..the Galway business plus the budget could be the tipping point....
    The Galway business, the budget, Hapless Gilmore and his missus, and the presidential intervention. This thing could implode very quickly.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    This would be the Labour Party that's still polling comfortably above its long-term trend.
    This would be the Labour Party that is continually being hammered by Sinn Fein in the polls. The one that is also being outperformed by Fianna Fail - a party that people were writing off. Or were you thinking of another Labour Party?

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    This thread is NOT for the discussion around the circumstances around Savita's death or about abortion.
    It is for discussion surrounding the political fallout, real or percieved of this whole sorry and sad affair!!
    Will there be a head on a plate?
    Reilly is under significant pressures as it is.
    Will this be the final nail??

We know that there is differences of opinion between FG and labour on the issues surrounding abortion legislation...this cannot help!!

We have seen in the past that small things can trip up governments. This week is turning into a political nightmare for the government on a national and international level!

I think the EU Presidency will prove to be a balm.

I can't see the Galway issue generating any long term political heat.
    The economy is a more tangible issue by far. It is the only issue in my view.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast