Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: President Higgins Involves Himself In Savita Tragedy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default President Higgins Involves Himself In Savita Tragedy

No thread on this 5 hours after this news came to light. I think this is quite serious and it's made the front page of tomorrow's Irish Times.

President Michael D Higgins has today called for an investigation into the death of Savita Halappanavar which "meets the needs of the family"
    President calls for Savita investigation which 'meets the needs of the family' | BreakingNews.ie

The government tonight declined to comment on Higgins' statement.

It's usual for us to hear the same recycled statements from Irish presidents expressing their sympathy when tragedies like this happen, but on this occasion it appears that President Higgins has suggested what the government should do.

I personally can't remember such a statement being made by an Irish President while in office and I certainly think McAleese wouldn't have said anything.

Perhaps there is a justification for the publication of his own views on this occasion, but is he going to make a habit of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully he'll get a slap on the wrist and be a bit more careful in future and this doesn't escalate. He has been relatively good president so far but could be excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good man Higgens. Moral leadership is exactly what the President should be doing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A serious overstepping of his Constitutional authority. He is effectively advocating a position which is entirely contrary to a Government decision which is just days old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If this is true Higgins is a thundering disgrace. Has to go.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is the full sentence:
    "My wish, frankly, is that there be some form of investigation which meets the needs of the concerned public and meets the needs of the family and meets the need of the State.”

Who in cabinet, or elsewhere, could object to that? (And why do posters only give partial quotes?)

He is also outside of the State and therefore not addressing the Nation:
    Article 13.7

The President may, after consultation with the Council of State, communicate with the Houses of the Oireachtas by message or address on any matter of national or public importance.
    The President may, after consultation with the Council of State, address a message to the Nation at any time on any such matter.
    Every such message or address must, however, have received the approval of the Government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Who in cabinet, or elsewhere, could object to that? (And why do posters only give partial quotes?)
    The problem is that he is clearly implying that the course of action taken by the Government is an incorrect one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“My wish, frankly, is that there be some form of investigation which meets the needs of the concerned public and meets the needs of the family and meets the need of the State.”

Is he not allowed to opine on subjects? He's not ordering anyone to do anything, just speaking the mind a decent man I'd have said.
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Here is the full sentence:
    "“My wish, frankly, is that there be some form of investigation which meets the needs of the concerned public and meets the needs of the family and meets the need of the State.”

It's clearly implied what he wants the government to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Good man Higgens. Moral leadership is exactly what the President should be doing.
    I wait with baited breath for O'Higgins being as vocal on this budget thats going to put people like me under savage pressure next year...along with all the stealth charges being introduced by his former comrades....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast