Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EU draws line on difference between e-bike and motorbike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU draws line on difference between e-bike and motorbike

Auditors have not signed off on any EU spending for 18 years in a row, and yet the EU still finds time for niggling micromanaging such as this, vocally supported by self-described cycling "associations". I'm certainly glad to hear that anything over 0.335 horsepower and can go over 16 mph is officially a motorbike...should I put on a leather jacket too? Ride to live, live to ride and all that...?

EurActiv
    The European Parliament has voted to separate regulation on motorised and non-motorised bicycles, a move two-wheeler associations say will safeguard investment in cycling.

In the plenary session, European lawmakers decided on Tuesday (20 November) that any electronically power assisted cycle (EPAC) under 250 watts and a maximum speed of 25 kilometres per hour would remain a bicycle.

Anything more powerful is considered a motorbike, in line with the European Commission’s original proposal.

Ceri Woolsgrove, road safety officer for the European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF), said: “We need a clear border line between what a bicycle is and what exceeds the definition of a ‘bicycle’.” ...
    "Laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt." —Tacitus

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh yippee. This week's nutty paranoid EU thread by Al!

Get help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    Auditors have not signed off on any EU spending for 18 years in a row, and yet the EU still finds time for niggling micromanaging such as this, vocally supported by self-described cycling "associations". I'm certainly glad to hear that anything over 0.335 horsepower and can go over 16 mph is officially a motorbike...should I put on a leather jacket too? Ride to live, live to ride and all that...?

EurActiv
    do you even lift?

Politics.ie Member cottage_economist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's not as daft as it sounds. This means that an e-bike can be ridden under the same conditions as a bicycle, that is no tax, insurance, helmet and, presumably, no bother about drink driving laws. All handy to know if you have an e-bike.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

250w is nothing, limit should be at least 500w with no 'pedelec' requirement. A child could push more than 250w down onto a pedal.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cottage_economist View Post
    That's not as daft as it sounds. This means that an e-bike can be ridden under the same conditions as a bicycle, that is no tax, insurance, helmet and, presumably, no bother about drink driving laws. All handy to know if you have an e-bike.
    It is completely daft.

What ever happened to the principle of derogation that is supposed to be the guiding principle of EU regulation?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...also no need to obey any of the rules of the road including traffic lights, one way streets, driving on footpaths etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    It is completely daft.

What ever happened to the principle of derogation that is supposed to be the guiding principle of EU regulation?
    ...subsidiarity, and a guiding principle. Are e-bikes somehow different in Ireland and Malta?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member cottage_economist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

250w is actually plenty, a third of a horsepower in old money. I doubt if a child could keep up that sort of output except for a very short burst.

Trainwreck could you explain what you mean by derogation as I can't find a meaning that seems to fit the context.

And cyclists do have to obey traffic laws, it's all in the highway code, and most of us do. Those who don't could and should be prosecuted. Don't confuse the lack of enforcement with the lack of legislation.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

250w is actually plenty, a third of a horsepower in old money. I doubt if a child could keep up that sort of output except for a very short burst.

Trainwreck could you explain what you mean by derogation as I can't find a meaning that seems to fit the context.

And cyclists do have to obey traffic laws, it's all in the highway code, and most of us do. Those who don't could and should be prosecuted. Don't confuse the lack of enforcement with the lack of legislation.
    250W won't get you up a lot of hills. I had a motorised bicycle before (petrol) with a full horsepower and it struggled with many hills. The daftest requirement of all is the 'pedelec' - forces you to move your legs for no reason. If our EU overlords were serious about alternative modes of transport like this they wouldn't be trying to cripple them in such a way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast