Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are the HSE spending money on public awareness of the effectiveness of antibiotics when they are only available on prescription?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are the HSE spending money on public awareness of the effectiveness of antibiotics when they are only available on prescription?

As cold and flu season begins to take hold, leading clinicians have united to promote the correct use of antibiotics on European Antibiotics Awareness Day.

Dr Fidelma Fitzpatrick, Consultant Microbiologist and HSE/RCPI clinical lead said that while antibiotics have transformed modern medicine, a casual attitude towards them is damaging their effectiveness.

"The evidence is very clear - overuse and misuse of antibiotics has allowed bacteria to develop ways of protecting themselves and we are seeing an alarming rise in antibiotic -resistant infections such as drug resistant bacteria that cause pneumonia, meningitis, MRSA and E.coli," said Dr Fitzpatrick.

A survey on public attitudes to anti biotic usage carried out by the HSE show that attitudes to antibiotics are changing.
    Am I the only one that thinks this is strange? I have of course come across people who mistakenly think that antibiotics will cure a cold or flu, however surely the casual attitude must be stemming from the prescribing practices of doctors? A simple "no antibiotics aren't necessary in your case" is hardly beyond the reach of most GPs. Or am I missing something?

Clinicians urge correct antibiotic use - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 21, 2012
    It's either very new cheese or very old meat...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1. People will often take some of other people's antibiotics thinking it will help them.
    2. People will often not finish their regime because they feel better
    3. People will often go to the doctor asking for antibiotics when bedrest is what's needed. This wastes the GP's time while also exposing the person to whatever the patients waiting to be seen may be carrying.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I fully agree with you on this. Their is a on going trend by GP's is a bit miffeling. Just 6-7 years ago my family GP dismissed the use off antibiotics for a family member who was always getting quiet bad doses off the flu at winter time.
    Then just last year I heard that two old relatives were been prescribes antibiotics for the same type off flu.
    I think myself that any thing on prescription is been pushed as a easy answer for just about any thing nowadays.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Boggle

Same reason as everything else... their buddies in RTE need advertising. It's only the health budget after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    I fully agree with you on this. Their is a on going trend by GP's is a bit miffeling. Just 6-7 years ago my family GP dismissed the use off antibiotics for a family member who was always getting quiet bad doses off the flu at winter time.
    Then just last year I heard that two old relatives were been prescribes antibiotics for the same type off flu.
    I think myself that any thing on prescription is been pushed as a easy answer for just about any thing nowadays.
    OAPs might have a risk of secondary infections due to immune suppression. That's what the antibiotics are for not the flu. Healthy individuals with flu don't need antibiotics. The need rest and fluids.....AND THEY DON'T NEED A BLOODY AMBULANCE!! ( sorry it's a pet hate of mine).
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    OAPs might have a risk of secondary infections due to immune suppression. That's what the antibiotics are for not the flu. Healthy individuals with flu don't need antibiotics. The need rest and fluids.....AND THEY DON'T NEED A BLOODY AMBULANCE!! ( sorry it's a pet hate of mine).
    It's a handy way to skip waiting in A&E apparently.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    1. People will often take some of other people's antibiotics thinking it will help them.
    3. People will often go to the doctor asking for antibiotics when bedrest is what's needed. This wastes the GP's time while also exposing the person to whatever the patients waiting to be seen may be carrying.
    1. People should never take anybody else's prescription medication for anything, doctors, pharmacists and PIL's make this very clear.
    2. A course of antibiotics should always be completed, again doctors, pharmacists and PIL's make this very clear.
    3. That is a valid point, perhaps the real aim of the exercise is to stop people clogging up GP surgeries but the campaign focuses on the problems associated with excessive consumption of antibiotics and this is still within the domain of prescribing practices of GP's.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I do not recall my relatives telling me anything about secondary infection risk. I still think its all to do with conveniences for GP's themselves. Pills for anything and everything is the new motto I think.
    PS...
    I might add, years ago GP only gave out antibiotics when some one had an infection that required them. These days people are getting them just in case they MAY get any such infection.
    Its no wounder our immune systems are getting lazy at fitting infections. Getting pills just in case we might get sick!!!
    Last edited by southwestkerry; 21st November 2012 at 05:10 PM.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    A lot of people bring antibiotics home from Spain with them to avoid giving €50 to the doctor here, others buy them on the internet. Over use of antibiotics is actually aiding the evolution of bacteria towards the day where thousands of more strains will be resistant to antibiotics than are today.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    A lot of people bring antibiotics home from Spain with them to avoid giving €50 to the doctor here, others buy them on the internet. Over use of antibiotics is actually aiding the evolution of bacteria towards the day where thousands of more strains will be resistant to antibiotics than are today.
    I wasn't aware of that. Anyone who buys medication over the internet needs their head examined.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast