Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rent allowance of 875 a month

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rent allowance of 875 a month

On the Live line now that a mother with a child is receiving 875 a month rent allowance. This is worth 14,000 before tax income I guess. Can the country afford this level of social welfare?

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by sheehan View Post
    On the Live line now that a mother with a child is receiving €875 a month rent allowance. This is worth €14,000 before tax income I guess. Can the country afford this level of social welfare?
    No. Not only that but working people cannot afford those levels of rents either.
    Bin it completely and let property markets fall to natural levels... they won't be left empty as 200 quid a month is better than nothing and half of all rented accommodation is paid for by the state. It's not like those on RA are an insignificant portion of the market.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My tax euro at work. Great.
    I may be in the minority, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This mother lost her job. the rate quoted is the Dublin rate for a property big enough for a woman and a child. her dole won't be enough to pay rent as well.

Should people like her be helped or left on the streets?

yes we are broke and the cost of rent allowance is huge (but a lot of the rent allowances comes back via income tax PRSI and USC on landlords).

More emphasis on job creation is needed so this woman can return to work and afford to pay rent.

Gimpanzee

On the Live line now that a mother with a child is receiving €875 a month rent allowance. This is worth €14,000 before tax income I guess. Can the country afford this level of social welfare?
    how did you come up with 14k?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    No. Not only that but working people cannot afford those levels of rents either.
    Bin it completely and let property markets fall to natural levels... they won't be left empty as 200 quid a month is better than nothing and half of all rented accommodation is paid for by the state. It's not like those on RA are an insignificant portion of the market.
    Let us hope there is a slashing of landlords dole in the budget, taxpayers are carrying the can supporting this nonsense that is inflating all rents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did she contribute tax and PRSI to the countries coffers?
    Is she unable to find work?
    Would she take a job for 30k per annum if it meant losing her benefits?

If the answer is yes to all then the country can afford it as this woman has clearly signed up to a social contract to contribute.
    If the answer is no then lets open some poor houses or get unmarried mothers etc back living with their parents.

Social welfare should be all about give and take. all take means you should get nothing.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    This mother lost her job. the rate quoted is the Dublin rate for a property big enough for a woman and a child. her dole won't be enough to pay rent as well.

Should people like her be helped or left on the streets?

yes we are broke and the cost of rent allowance is huge (but a lot of the rent allowances comes back via income tax PRSI and USC on landlords).

More emphasis on job creation is needed so this woman can return to work and afford to pay rent.
    Why do you think Dublin is so expensive? Because of RA.
    Otherwise the places would be rented at market rate, which is another way of saying what people can afford.

On the bright side, when she goes back to work she would still have a lower rent rather than paying stupid rates like today.

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    Emphasis? Couple of hundred thousand people could be back to work with a little more emphasis you say?

Well that's nice.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I mean if you are working and paying tax, to pay 875 euro a month for rent (10,500 a year), you need to have a pre-tax income of 14,000 euro, assuming an income tax rate of 20% plus PRSI and income levies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    how did you come up with 14k?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast