Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Some 'Dissidents' End Prison Protest.

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Some 'Dissidents' End Prison Protest.

BBC News - Prisoners in Roe House at Maghaberry end dirty protest

I recall a meeting with a group of former RPOWs in America where they told us the only thing they regretted about their time on the blanket was the so called 'dirty protest'. An unpopular and odius form of prison protest that we hoped we'd never see again.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    BBC News - Prisoners in Roe House at Maghaberry end dirty protest

I recall a meeting with a group of former RPOWs in America where they told us the only thing they regretted about their time on the blanket was the so called 'dirty protest'. An unpopular and odius form of prison protest that we hoped we'd never see again.
    Forced into they were ,by the Imperialist,fascist,sectarian,bigotted,warmongerin g Brits............................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    Forced into they were ,by the Imperialist,fascist,sectarian,bigotted,warmongerin g Brits............................
    They decided not to leave their cells because of attacks by gangs of uneducated unionists who roamed their wings in the uniform of the NI prison service.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They decided not to leave their cells because of attacks by gangs of uneducated unionists who roamed their wings in the uniform of the NI prison service.
    Yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the DUP's Paul Givan, the chairman of the assembly's justice committee, said "there will be no terrorist shrine at Roe House".
    I think that's what he said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah.

However unpopular the dirty protest became it was an effective form of self defence.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However unpopular the dirty protest became it was an effective form of self defence.
    Not much defence against a power hose it has to be said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not much defence against a power hose it has to be said.
    The power washing was very effective in removing the filth from the walls and keeping disease out of the prison.

The dirty protest was very effective in cleaning the wings and keeping the filth out of the cells.
    Last edited by Tommythesash; 21st November 2012 at 08:22 PM.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was a nihilistic and disgusting protest which demeaned the men (and women) themselves and those who had to deal with them (including the warders.....many of whom are not usually recipients of my sympathy).
    The "dirty protest" has more or less been air-brushed (power-hosed? perhaps) out of Republican History because it was so unpopular with the broader nationalist community.
    The British and their allies in unionism had been telling the world about IRA being sub-human etc......and frankly the IRA prisoners on dirty protest facilitated rather than challenged it.
    The war.....and frankly the IRA was totally defeated in the late 1970s......was fought in the prisons but the dirty protest was a lost and humiliating battle.
    The hunger strikes on the other hand......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FitzjamesHorse View Post
    It was a nihilistic and disgusting protest which demeaned the men (and women) themselves and those who had to deal with them (including the warders.....many of whom are not usually recipients of my sympathy).
    The "dirty protest" has more or less been air-brushed (power-hosed? perhaps) out of Republican History because it was so unpopular with the broader nationalist community.
    The British and their allies in unionism had been telling the world about IRA being sub-human etc......and frankly the IRA prisoners on dirty protest facilitated rather than challenged it.
    The war.....and frankly the IRA was totally defeated in the late 1970s......was fought in the prisons but the dirty protest was a lost and humiliating battle.
    The hunger strikes on the other hand......

Far from being airbrushed out of Irish history the dirty protest is mentioned in every book and documentary along with the hunger strike.

It is worth noting that among the scores of unionist convicts who went into prison ludicrously claiming their only crime was loyalty, only four had the guts to go on the blanket.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast