Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conservative Christian Maltese Commissioner beats off red and green blocking

Default Conservative Christian Maltese Commissioner beats off red and green blocking

European Parliament approves Tonio Borg's nomination - timesofmalta.com

I'm not sure how many of you have been following this fascinating story, but this morning Tonio Borg has finally gotten through and extremely arduous and divisive vote to become the next European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs. Borg has been a great Foreign Minister in Malta but his conservative views raised the hackles of the green and left wing parties in the EP. Personally, I'm delighted to see him get through and for one of Europe's smallest countries to get such a senior area of responsibility.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

I'm not sure how many of you have been following this fascinating story, but this morning Tonio Borg has finally gotten through and extremely arduous and divisive vote to become the next European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs. Borg has been a great Foreign Minister in Malta but his conservative views raised the hackles of the green and left wing parties in the EP. Personally, I'm delighted to see him get through and for one of Europe's smallest countries to get such a senior area of responsibility.
    Disappointing to see women's health issues put on the back burner again by the EU through the appointment of this blatantly unsuitable person. Daily Kos: Silence and Denial Don't Work: Ireland, Malta, the European Union and the Lessons of Savita's Death.......

The former Health Commissioner, John Dalli, was recently forced to step down following accusations of corruption and now his replacement has been announced, Malta's current foreign minister, Tonio Borg. True to his government's official stance, Borg is a long-standing opponent to reproductive and sexual health and rights. He voted against the legalization of divorce in Malta in 2011. He is staunchly opposed to rights of same-sex couples. And, proudly involved with an outspoken anti-abortion group, he has advocated for introducing the ban on abortion into the country's constitution so that it cannot be repealed by parliament or annulled in a court. This man has been nominated to be the primary spokesperson of the EU on issues related to health. The vote on his nomination will take place on Wednesday, November 21......

Last edited by imokyrok; 21st November 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Normally if I saw a thread title with 'Conservative Christian' and 'beats off' in the same sentence, I'd expect a very lively thread....
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

If only he was as well suited to the job for which he was applying, as "We need to talk about Kevin" was for the job for which he was applying....because if they were as impressed as they were with Kevin then they would have backed him enthusiastically.

Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    Disappointing to see women's health issues put on the back burner again by the EU through the appointment of this blatantly unsuitable person.

Abortion has nothing to do with women's health and perhaps having someone who believes is supporting the rights of the unborn would be a good balance within the Commission.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm delighted for Borg.

Green EU parl. leader Danny Cohn Bendit is in no position to query Borg, let alone anyone
    given his record:
    Principled Pedophilia and the German Left

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    I'm delighted for Borg.

Green EU parl. leader Danny Cohn Bendit is in no position to query Borg, let alone anyone
    given his record:
    Principled Pedophilia and the German Left
    He was a paedo?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cohn Bendit from Wikipedia.

Daniel Cohn-Bendit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cohn-Bendit worked in the Karl-Marx-Buchhandlung bookshop and ran a kindergarten. In his 1975 book Le Grand Bazar,[1] he described himself as engaging in sexual activities with very young children at the kindergarten.

In 2001 Cohn-Bendit said that the account was invented for purposes of "verbal provocation", and that “I admit that what I wrote is unacceptable nowadays”.
    EU Making Paedophilia Legal Across Europe Anti Oligarch
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If anyone thinks that Vatican City is Catholic they should visit or live in Malta for a while. As for corruption, Malta should be at the head of every league table.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Makes a change. Rocco Buttiglione couldn't achieve it...

BBC NEWS | Europe | Profile: Rocco Buttiglione

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast