Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Institutional abuse inquiry will go as far back as the 1920s.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cavan
    Posts
    8,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Institutional abuse inquiry will go as far back as the 1920s.

    I've just heard on a report on UTV Live Tonight about the discussion of the legislation for the inquiry into institutional abuse in NI that the inquiry, which had been intended to cover the period from 1945 to 1995, will go back as far as the 1920s.

    The people who perpetrated these crimes in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s are deceased. So what is the point of having the inquiry go back that far?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere!
    Posts
    21,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    I've just heard on a report on UTV Live Tonight about the discussion of the legislation for the inquiry into institutional abuse in NI that the inquiry, which had been intended to cover the period from 1945 to 1995, will go back as far as the 1920s.

    The people who perpetrated these crimes in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s are deceased. So what is the point of having the inquiry go back that far?
    I take your point, but I suppose they want to know every last detail so they can make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cavan
    Posts
    8,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    I take your point, but I suppose they want to know every last detail so they can make sure it doesn't happen again.
    We already know everything about institutional abuse. The people who covered it up and the people who did it are dead. There is no chance that the authorities would cover up institutional abuse in the present day.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    45,055
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    some smartarses way of covering things up we will hear all about past abuses and very little about more recent cases.
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA, via Belfast, Ireland.
    Posts
    5,213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    We already know everything about institutional abuse. The people who covered it up and the people who did it are dead. There is no chance that the authorities would cover up institutional abuse in the present day.
    We don't know everything about institutional and Catholic clergy abuse and we never will. Furthermore, all the people who did it are not dead, you moron. It obviously doesn't matter to the authorities because many of the people who committed acts of unimaginable cruelty against Irish children and are still alive today are living free.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,462
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    NI abuse inquiry creates 'hierarchy of victims' - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 21, 2012

    TUV leader Jim Allister yesterday described a decision not to widen the scope of the investigation to include victims of clerical abuse as a missed opportunity.
    Allister has a point IMO.

    Reacting to the Assembly debate, Michael Connolly, who was a victim of child sex abuse by a priest in Co Fermanagh from 1968 to 1974, said he and other victims of clerical abuse felt ignored by the Northern Ireland Executive.


    “The inquiry into institutional child abuse is welcome. But this does nothing for me and the hundreds of other victims of clerical abuse who were molested in churches, church halls, private homes and other locations outside children’s institutions.
    Though according to Jonathan Bell DUP, Junior Minister

    He added that it was his belief the inquiry had enough scope to guard against future abuse and that the issue of clerical abuse would be dealt with at a later stage.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cavan
    Posts
    8,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    We don't know everything about institutional and Catholic clergy abuse and we never will. Furthermore, all the people who did it are not dead, you moron. It obviously doesn't matter to the authorities because many of the people who committed acts of unimaginable cruelty against Irish children and are still alive today are living free.
    In the OP, I said:

    The people who perpetrated these crimes in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s are deceased.
    I didn't say anything about crimes committed in the 1960s and onwards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •