Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Two children (12 + 6) awarded 15,000 (7,500 each) after being trapped in Lidl lift for 30 Mins

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Two children (12 + 6) awarded 15,000 (7,500 each) after being trapped in Lidl lift for 30 Mins

This has to be one of the worst cases of compo culture.

When I first read the story I thought the children were trapped in the lift alone but they were with their mother.

I think a 100 euro voucher would have done.

Two children awarded €7,500 each after being trapped in Lidl lift for 30 minutes - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

Barrister David Richardson told the court that six-year-old Dawson Wilson was with his mother Gwendolyn and his cousin Luke Wilson (12) in the lift on June 25, 2011 when it stuck.

He said the incident happened in Lidl’s Cork Street, Dublin, store and both children suffered psychological injuries and retained a fear of lifts because of their experience.

Mr Richardson said Ms Wilson and the children were trapped in the lift which had broken down for half an hour before she managed to prise open the doors.

He said both children had attended their GP, Dr Barbara Smyth, Crumlin Road, Dublin. They suffered sleeplessness and anxiety following the incident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At first I agreed but then:
    Mr Richardson said Ms Wilson and the children were trapped in the lift which had broken down for half an hour before she managed to prise open the doors.
    Why did a customer have to rescue themselves from a broken lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Cellach View Post
    At first I agreed but then: Why did a customer have to rescue themselves from a broken lift?
    Impatience? Anyone finding themselves in this situation should wait for the profession maintenance people to fix the problem, doing so yourself could be highly dangerous.

In my opinion the award is ridiculous, and as the OP said indicative of a compo (sic..) culture.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At first I agreed but then: Why did a customer have to rescue themselves from a broken lift?
    who knows, may be mom did a bit off thinking on the spot before the euro sign flashed before her eyes.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Unreal. I was trapped in a lift for almost an hour a few years ago. I freaked out as I was near dying to pee. Is it too late for me to go back and sue?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Psychological injuries??
    Dragging your kids through Court would have that affect alright.
    How many floors does a Lidl store have btw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Impatience? Anyone finding themselves in this situation should wait for the profession maintenance people to fix the problem, doing so yourself could be highly dangerous.

In my opinion the award is ridiculous, and as the OP said indicative of a compo (sic..) culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by southwestkerry View Post
    who knows, may be mom did a bit off thinking on the spot before the euro sign flashed before her eyes.
    Or alternatively, there was nothing in place where by anyone stuck in the lift could call for help, and they were left on their own for half an hour until they forced their own way out, hence the payout.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Or alternatively, there was nothing in place where by anyone stuck in the lift could call for help, and they were left on their own for half an hour until they forced their own way out, hence the payout.
    Or they just freaked out when trapped. It happens. I never thought I would freak out being trapped in a lift but I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I was a kid, I'd have done two days in the store freezer for a curleywurley.
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

I thought they maybe had a legitimate case, then I saw the women's name was Gwendolyn.
    Somebody grab the script!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast