Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For God to consider you a holy woman, obey your husband: UK church votes against women bishops

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default For God to consider you a holy woman, obey your husband: UK church votes against women bishops

BBC News - Church of England general synod votes against women bishops

The general synod of the Church of England has voted narrowly against the appointment of women as bishops.

The measure was passed by the synod's houses of bishops and clergy but was rejected by the House of Laity.

Supporters vowed to continue their campaign but it will be five years before a similar vote can be held.
    The votes were 44 for and three against with two abstentions in the House of Bishops, 148 for and 45 against in the House of Clergy, and 132 for and 74 against in the House of Laity.

The vote in the House of Laity, at 64%, was just short of the required majority - six more "yes" votes were needed.
    So England's church votes to be less advanced than New Zealand, a country populated solely by human/sheep hybrids. It's a bit of an upset as it looked to be going through, but the recent tactic of the no side was to state that if it was a Yes it would destroy the church (with some parishes refusing to recognise their bishops) while if it was a No then nothing would really happen. Which....is an argument that seems to have worked.

A bit ridiculous in this day and age.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who are not members of a church and are never likely to be, seem to think they know what's best for it.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't understand the logic of allowing female priests but not bishops.

But private groups and clubs should be entitled to male their own rules. The fact that this happens to be the State church is neither here nor there

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could it be a matter of the lads voting to keep the top jobs and promotions for themselves?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

So England's church votes to be less advanced than New Zealand, a country populated solely by human/sheep hybrids. It's a bit of an upset as it looked to be going through, but the recent tactic of the no side was to state that if it was a Yes it would destroy the church (with some parishes refusing to recognise their bishops) while if it was a No then nothing would really happen. Which....is an argument that seems to have worked.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments about the COE what's with the digs at New Zealand and its people , comment not really required to promote your point of view surely ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funnily enough it was the laity representatives that rejected it (or at least, 2/3 of them couldn't be got to support it), the clerics and the bishops were all for it. Why not borrow a bit more from Catholicism and simply not consult the laity at all?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would the decision have been subject to divine guidance?
    Last edited by potholedogger; 20th November 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So England's church votes to be less advanced than New Zealand, a country populated solely by human/sheep hybrids..............
    Oh - Sidey won't like that comment about NZ - he has gone there because of their superior state to get away from us paddy troglodytes..................get ready for a Sidey sized tongue lashin Sync!

On the substantive point - no surprise there really - reform happens in swings - at the moment - they are catching their breath after a big reform and modernization period - also the Anglican community is in flux - the smaller it gets - the more vocal and influential the conservatives get - its the same in the RCC

Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    Oh - Sidey won't like that comment about NZ - he has gone there because of their superior state to get away from us paddy troglodytes..................get ready for a Sidey sized tongue lashin Sync!

On the substantive point - no surprise there really - reform happens in swings - at the moment - they are catching their breath after a big reform and modernization period - also the Anglican community is in flux - the smaller it gets - the more vocal and influential the conservatives get - its the same in the RCC
    I think Sidey might be more concerned by the fact that people are even having serious votes about all this 'camel herding sky fairy loo laa nonsense'.

I just think its all ridiculous to the point of being funny.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    I think Sidey might be more concerned by the fact that people are even having serious votes about all this 'camel herding sky fairy loo laa nonsense'.

I just think its all ridiculous to the point of being funny.
    in fairness to the CofE - I have been led to believe that a belief in God is optional!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast