Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fukushima: 42% of 57,000 Children Have Thyroid Cysts/Nodules

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fukushima: 42% of 57,000 Children Have Thyroid Cysts/Nodules

A newly released report on the health impact of Fukushima on the prefecture's children has shown that of the 57,000 children surveyed 42% had thyroid cysts and nodules. By way of comparison the rate in Chernobyl was 0.1% - 1%.

The Fukushima disaster is only just beginning. It has been suppressed by the mainstream media in the west and even by the media in Japan. I recently looked at pictures on a website showing newly re-opened beaches just 15 miles from Fukushima in which images of smiling kids playing in the water were relayed to the population at large to show that the area is safe. This struck me as bald and criminal insanity. There is no depravity that governments will not stoop to when you're sitting watching images of children playing in water beside 3 nuclear meltdowns, all organised by the 'authorities' for public consumption. I had the same feeling during Israel's last attack on Gaza when, from the comfort of my chair, I watched live pictures of white phosphous raining down on women and children. Nothing is safe and everything is possible in this world.

18 months after the meltdowns there is still confusion over where the melted cores are. There's confusion publically that is. Privately it is highly unlikely that they are unable to locate any one of 3 separate coriums. The dissemination of confusion instead of clarity on the issue therefore suggests that the truth is being concealed. What then do you think the truth is?

The disaster at Fukushima is only beginning.

I took this info from this article: German Media Shows Backlash At Fukushima Health Survey | SimplyInfo which is based on a German television piece here. Perhaps someone with German can review the piece and confirm the data as relayed is accurate?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This doesn't sound good, those children should not be abused in this way.

Eamon Gilmore our Minister for Foreign Affairs with a huge capacity for caring, will undoubtedly intervene and close our Embassy there in protest.

He will probably suggest that Japan legislates against undersea earthquakes, when he should be offering free housing from our liquidated Nama stock for those poor families who would like to move.

Come on Eamo, surprise us for once.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you checked your own children for Thyroid Cysts/Nodules?

The result would surprise you.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read a report when checking into this that 15% of children in one survey had nodules on their thryroid. Between the Chernobyl number and that 15% I do not know the norm. Is 42% normal do you think? In a survey of 57,000 children?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    Have you checked your own children for Thyroid Cysts/Nodules?

The result would surprise you.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Irish children were found to have significant thyroid damage. In fact it's almost inevitable. Ireland is the only democracy in the world with mandatory fluoridation of public water; and fluoride, like radiation, is very harmful for the thyroid gland. America's highest scientific authority, the National Research Council, states clearly that fluoride is an endocrine disruptor.

The unfortunate residents of Fukushima and surrounding areas have no easy escape from the radiation, but our Government could immediately save us from the scourge of fluoride if they wanted to. In fact fluoridation is the only major public health problem that can be solved overnight.
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did they have any iodine tablets to take or would iodine have been any use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Did they have any iodine tablets to take or would iodine have been any use?
    Don't quote me on this, but if I remember right iodine tablets lasts only a few hours, so unless they had the capacity to start churning out daily doses for the hundreds of thousands there it wouldn't be much use.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so according to this:
    Thyroid nodules in children are uncommon but often present an increased risk of malignancy in comparison to their adult counterpart...Thyroid cancer is the most common endocrine malignancy in pediatric patients [1–3]. However, thyroid nodules in children are only found in 3.7% of healthy children aged 11–18 years old. Compared to adults, these nodules have an increased risk of being malignant (16% in children versus 5% in adults).
    This is a clinical study from 2 researchers in the Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children's National Medical Center, Washington.

Then there's this by Andrew J. Bauer, M.D. and Gary L. Francis, M.D., Ph.D
    After radiation exposure, the prevalence of thyroid disease (hypothyroidism, nodules and/or cancer) is up to 40-fold higher with patients developing problems as soon as five years or as late as 30 years after the initial treatment..
    In total, thyroid cancer may develop in as many as 10 percent of all cancer survivors following radiation treatments..
    Most thyroid disease requires about 15 years to appear, but cases have been reported after as long as 30 years or as short as five years in younger children.
    According to this article on endocrinology-journals.org:
    Thyroid nodules are uncommon in children before puberty (1.5% or less) (Kirkland et al. 1973, Rallison et al. 1975, Scott & Crawford 1976, Yip et al. 1994, Millman & Pellitteri 1997). Any nodule discovered in such an age group should therefore be viewed with suspicion and the diagnostic approach should be more aggressive in children than in adults (Scott & Crawford 1976, Silverman et al. 1979, Ridgway 1991) because they are more often malignant than in adults (Belfiore et al. 1989). The mean incidence of thyroid carcinomas in childhood thyroid nodules which were operated on is summarized in Table 1 and shows an overall 26.4% risk of cancer.
    According to this:
    The incidence of palpable (able to be felt) thyroid nodules is 5 percent. Five to 20 percent of patients with thyroid nodules will have cancer.
    According to the American Academy of Family Physicians:
    Palpable thyroid nodules occur in 4 to 7 percent of the population (10 to 18 million persons), but nodules found incidentally on ultrasonography suggest a prevalence of 19 to 67 percent.

[nevertheless]While the prevalence of thyroid nodules is less common in children, the risk of malignancy appears to be much higher (14 to 40 percent in children as opposed to 5 percent in adults).

“Red Flags” for Thyroid Cancer
    Male gender
    Extremes in age (younger than 20 years and older than 65 years)
    Rapid growth of nodule
    Symptoms of local invasion (dysphagia, neck pain, hoarseness)
    History of radiation to the head or neck
    Family history of thyroid cancer or polyposis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obviously Fukushima isn't as important as Eamon Gilmore's wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Civic_Critic that's a very worrying statistic and a time-bomb, thanks for posting the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast