Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking childrens interest into account when deciding to send people to prison

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Taking childrens interest into account when deciding to send people to prison

Welfare of prisoners' children addressed in report - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 20, 2012

I saw this on the Irish Times website and was taken aback by the report which started.
    The best interests of the child should be a key consideration when sending a parent to prison, a new report by the Irish Penal Reform Trust (IPRT) has found.

I just wonder at the message it is giving. Are rights now more important than responsabilities? Can people commit crime and then say because they have children they should not be sent to jail?

Don't get me wrong I believe we should try to help the families of prisoners and where possible put mechanisms in place to help maintain contact etc. However if someone commits a crime they should do the time. They make the decision to engage in illegal activity so they need to face up to the consequences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"When sending a parent to prison"? What it means is sending a mother to prison. It's effectively a get out of jail free card. Some of these people availing of this should have their children taken off them for the good of the children themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    "When sending a parent to prison"? What it means is sending a mother to prison. It's effectively a get out of jail free card. Some of these people availing of this should have their children taken off them for the good of the children themselves.
    The article doesn't mention mothers and specifically talks about "the need to better facilitate father-child relationships". It also does not mention people avoiding jail but rather is about increasing the access of children to visit a jailed parent. Denying visitation rights to children may be more detrimental to them rather than the jailed parent, surely some other punishments/deterrents can be used if necessary.

Overall sounds fair and balanced to me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would think that in very many cases it would be mostly in the interests of the child to send the mother - I am guessing - to prison and have the children adopted into a family that might break the pernicious socioeconomic cycle in this country that creates ferals from ferals.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I would think that in very many cases it would be mostly in the interests of the child to send the mother - I am guessing - to prison and have the children adopted into a family that might break the pernicious socioeconomic cycle in this country that creates ferals from ferals.
    I find you so charming.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Boggle

Hard one to call. We have a serious issue with crimes not being dealt with in this country but is punishing kids the answer?

Like I have said before; build purpose built prisons where you have limited or no access to other inmates and they can have all the contact they like with their kids.

However, kids should be irrelevant in sentencing as we are all equal before the law, regardless of how many kids we have. Do the crime then accept the consequences and understand that it is the criminal who made this happen and not the state.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I find you so charming.
    But do you have a comment?

I am guessing you think it would never be in the interests of the child to have them removed from the negative influence or lack of positive influence of a guardian who is anti-social to the point they have earned a prison sentence?

You have to be forthcoming. A parent should always be spared a custodial sentence if they have children? And the children will always be better off for it?

Don't forget we have just passed a referendum declaring that children should be potected from harm or failing parents. Earning yourself a prison sentence is never a sign of failure to protect and provide for your children? I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    But do you have a comment?

I am guessing you think it would never be in the interests of the child to have them removed from the negative influence or lack of positive influence of a guardian who is anti-social to the point they have earned a prison sentence?

You have to be forthcoming. A parent should always be spared a custodial sentence if they have children? And the children will be better off for it?
    I'm still digesting your "ferals from ferals" comment.

I would suggest that if you are concerned about these ferals, that rather than snatching their children from them, you should be supportive of efforts to make a more equal society. I know that doesn't make exciting headlines, but it might help the ferals you are worried about.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I'm still digesting your "ferals from ferals" comment.

I would suggest that if you are concerned about these ferals, that rather than snatching their children from them, you should be supportive of efforts to make a more equal society. I know that doesn't make exciting headlines, but it might help the ferals you are worried about.
    Placing a child into care - possible with more responsible family members - when their parent starts a prison sentence is child snatching?

So someone being sent to prison, someone with parental repsonsibilities found guilty of a serious crime is always a victim and just needs more "equality". I know that makes you feel superior, but it might not help the children you pretend to be interested in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish the Irish Penal Reform Trust (IPRT) was as concerned about the victims of crime.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast