Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bishops finally make statement on Savita case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bishops finally make statement on Savita case

The Irish Catholic Bishops; Conference has said:
    "...there was a moral distinction between “the direct and intentional destruction of an unborn baby” and medical treatments which do not intentionally seek to end the life of the unborn. The bishops said current law and medical guidelines in Ireland allow nurses and doctors in Irish hospitals to apply this distinction in practice while upholding the equal right to life of both a mother and her unborn baby."

Full story here:
    Treatment that risks foetus can be 'ethically permissible' - Catholic bishops - RT News

I have a couple of things to say about this:
    (1) The bishops are not lawmakers.
    (2) The bishops are not doctors.
    (3) The attitude shown in this statement is exactly what guided doctors to fail to treat Savita. After all they would have had to kill the foetus.
    (4) The bishops can f*** off. Specifically, they can f off back to school. They should be sitting down and learning, not teaching. How the hell did THEY become experts on health during pregnancy? They of all people know nothing on that particular subject, I would have thought.

Grrr. End of rant.

/mod/ this thread merged here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/current...-abortion.html /mod/
    Last edited by Sync; 6th December 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster View Post
    "...there was a moral distinction between “the direct and intentional destruction of an unborn baby” and medical treatments which do not intentionally seek to end the life of the unborn. The bishops said current law and medical guidelines in Ireland allow nurses and doctors in Irish hospitals to apply this distinction in practice while upholding the equal right to life of both a mother and her unborn baby."

Full story here:
    Treatment that risks foetus can be 'ethically permissible' - Catholic bishops - RT News

(3) The attitude shown in this statement is exactly what guided doctors to fail to treat Savita. After all they would have had to kill the foetus.
    (4) The bishops can f*** off. Specifically, they can f off back to school. They should be sitting down and learning, not teaching. How the hell did THEY become experts on health during pregnancy? They of all people know nothing on that particular subject, I would have thought.

Grrr. End of rant.
    So the doctors and nurses have to have a debate on the finer points of the double-effect delusion before they treat a woman? This is the best argument for legislation that has been presented to date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed I don't expect the doctors and nurses to make legal decisions. I expect them to make medical decisions, and yes with the legislation in place to help them along. I expect the bishops to make neither. Maybe they could tell us how many angels are in the heavenly choir and so forth. Stick to the stuff they know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eh, then why have the Pro-Choice brigade spent the last week wailing "why haven't the cruel heartless Catholic hierarchy seen fit to comment??"

It's the same old thing with the Church. Trash them when they speak out, trash them when they stay silent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its no longer an issue on abortion it is about Medical Negligence. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They could comment by apologising and promising never again to claim any expertise in women's health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fgrep View Post
    Its no longer an issue on abortion it is about Medical Negligence. Wake up and smell the coffee.
    Then why are the bishops still harping on about abortion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    ... It's the same old thing with the Church. Trash them when they speak out, trash them when they stay silent.
    Sounds like a plan.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Full story here:

Grrr. End of rant.
    Irish citizens have a right to express their opinions about the laws of Ireland. The lawmakers of Ireland have a right to ignore them or to respond to their concerns.

Who gave you the right to dictate what Catholic bishops (or anyone else) should be doing?
    Last edited by Glenshane4; 7th December 2012 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    Irish citizens have a right to express their opinions about the laws of Ireland. The lawmakers of Ireland have a right to inore them or to respond to their concerns.

Who gave you the right to dictate what Catholic bishops (or anyone else) should be doing?
    Hey I'm just exercising my right here. I'm not trying to gag the bishops, just to offer a critique. They seem to think they are experts in both law and medicine. I am suggesting otherwise.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast