Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Larne Gun Running - Loyalist hypocriticy?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Larne Gun Running - Loyalist hypocriticy?

I had being reading up on history lately, and for curiousity's sake, I took a look at the Larne Gun running incident, and I have one question for Unionists - was it not pretty hypocritical to import arms from Britian's primary enemy at the time to intentually prepare for a voilent campaign against an act passed by the parliment of the British King, to whom you had sworn loyalty to?

I am genuinely curious here, am I am personally interested to know the unionist viewpoint on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1) The Larne gunrunning was in April 1914
    2) The assassination of archduke Franz Ferdinand, proximate cause of World War I, did not take place until June 1914
    3) The First World War itself did not begin till July 1914
    4) "Hypocriticy"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    2) The assassination of archduke Franz Ferdinand, proximate cause of World War I, did not take place until June 1914
    4) "Hypocriticy"?
    German-Anglo relations had be strained for decades leading up to this, and there had being much speculation of a war between the two up to that point. And also, how was it not hypocritical? Preparing for a violent campaign against the British parliment does not seem to be a good way of showing your loyalty to the state that you pledge alligence to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    I had being reading up on history lately, and for curiousity's sake, I took a look at the Larne Gun running incident, and I have one question for Unionists - was it not pretty hypocritical to import arms from Britian's primary enemy at the time to intentually prepare for a voilent campaign against an act passed by the parliment of the British King, to whom you had sworn loyalty to?

I am genuinely curious here, am I am personally interested to know the unionist viewpoint on this.
    Why the name change Toman13?

BTW, before you accuse me of hypocriticy, I am aware that Scotland has that problem, but after all, Ireland had that problem when we got our independence, and of course we made our mistakes, as all other states does(yes, even the UK fu*ks up on occasion), but we are clearly better off for doing so. Look at N.Ireland in comparison if you don't believe me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please use spellchecks in future on thread titles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Please use spellchecks in future on thread titles.
    If you check back you'll see that this is how Toman spells hypocrisy

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hypocriticy: (n) electricity derived from smugness of ministers when asked to justify their high wages in a time of recession.

Synonym: Disdainable energy.

Related: Eamon Ryan

Example: ' the hypocriticy out of the minister was enough to power a small city'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    4) "Hypocriticy"?
    Ah but a divided Britain was a factor in the Geman's thinking in launching their offensive. Larne & the Curragh involved senior military and establishment figures. Hell there's even military estanlishments named after Gough.
    Sarajevo ws the spark the funeral pyre had long been built.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unionists/loyalists are only loyal as long as they are getting what they want. Remember their reaction to the Anglo Irish agreement? RUC members being put out of their homes by loyalist mobs and shots fired at the RUC by loyalist gunmen. Some loyalty there alright.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In before this turns into 200 pages of whataboutery

and yes I agree with Aindriu, their loyalty was/is dependent on them being pampered.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast