Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: India arrests women over Facebook post criticising Mumbai shutdown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default India arrests women over Facebook post criticising Mumbai shutdown

This is an interesting story on the BBC at the moment.

Police in India have arrested a woman they say criticised on Facebook the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of politician Bal Thackeray. A woman friend who "liked" the comment was also arrested, they said.

The women, accused of "hurting religious sentiments", were released on bail after appearing in court in the town of Palghar, police told the BBC.

It seems quite amazing, to me at least, that women can be arrested for making comments that in no way promote violence, criminality or anything that could be deemed in any way immoral. Basically these women critisised the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of the controversial politician Bal Thackeray.

Anyone else find it odd that countries like India still don't allow freedom of speech for women?

BBC News - India arrests over Facebook post criticising Mumbai shutdown
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we should expect Al Jazeera, the Beeb, and the Guardian to get very upset.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    I think we should expect Al Jazeera, the Beeb, and the Guardian to get very upset.
    So two agencies and a newspaper.

Any thoughts on the freedom of speech element yourself? Or are ya not bothered because you can post on here with relative anonymity?
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by collina View Post

Police in India have arrested a woman they say criticised on Facebook the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of politician Bal Thackeray. A woman friend who "liked" the comment was also arrested, they said.

The women, accused of "hurting religious sentiments", were released on bail after appearing in court in the town of Palghar, police told the BBC.

It seems quite amazing, to me at least, that women can be arrested for making comments that in no way promote violence, criminality or anything that could be deemed in any way immoral. Basically these women critisised the shutdown of the city of Mumbai after the death of the controversial politician Bal Thackeray.

Anyone else find it odd that countries like India still don't allow freedom of speech for women?

Is it because she’s a woman or a general free speech issue?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So two agencies and a newspaper.

Any thoughts on the freedom of speech element yourself? Or are ya not bothered because you can post on here with relative anonymity?
    I think that people should be allowed say whatever they like. And that is regardless of whoever has something to say.

And people can thereby ignore whoever they like.

I expect that Indian women will win this battle.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Pretty much disgraceful that criticism of a political decision takes you to gaol. The comment seems to be pretty harmless:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20390084

"People like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a 'bandh' [shutdown] for that."
    I wasn't aware prior to this story that despite its semi third world status that India was such an oppressive regime.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Is it because she’s a woman or a general free speech issue?
    A bit of both.

The BBC ran with the headline which I used for the tread title. Its mainly a freedom of speech issue for me. It could become a women’s issue if it’s discovered no men were arrested for making similar views public. It’s hard to imagine that in a city the size of Mumbai others were not equally frustrated by a shutdown. Its even harder to understand why such an objection is an arrestable offence.

Perhaps you should rephrase that to "It seems quite amazing, to me at least, that people can be arrested". I don't think her sex had anything to do with it.

Both men and women should be concerned about such flagrant disregard for free speech.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And they criticized Ireland???

Politics.ie Member Ramon Mercadar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its appalling. But the same thing happens in the UK. A few people have actually been convicted and imprisoned over FB remarks.
    In 1908, in London, at the Olympics, Irish American Martin Sheridan announced “This flag dips for no earthly king," when the US team paraded past the royal box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast