Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Success of the crackdown on welfare fraud: over 600 million to be saved this year

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Post Success of the crackdown on welfare fraud: over 600 million to be saved this year

Welfare probe finds fraud worth over €500m - National News - Independent.ie

Among the payments checked were those made to lone parents, where officials checked if a person in receipt of the money was living alone, and jobseeker's allowance, where it was suspected the recipient may have taken up employment.

Figures from the department show:

- €501m has been saved in the first eight months of the year in the fraud crackdown.

- The department is on course to achieve savings of €645m this year.

- Some 1,331 employers and businesses were inspected to ensure that fraud was not being conducted.

- 917,114 individual payments were reviewed, ahead of a target of 780,000 for the year.

Last year, some €21bn was spent on social welfare payments, 40pc of current government expenditure..

The jobseeker's allowance, one-parent family, and disability allowance are the most common payments involving fraud.
    Certainly good news, and a victory for the dept, beating its own targets for the review. As a stats nerd I'd be interested to hear a bit more about the 900k payments investigated. It's not going to be 900k people investigated, there will be multiple payments examined for some people. How were those people selected? Was it random or were there certain triggers involved which flag the person for review? If random then what % of recipients were examined claiming how much? Do the dept feel that they should be able to expand their function?

Regardless, good to see the dept beating its review target by approx 12% by November. A 2.5% saving on the overall welfare cost due to these investigations is impressive stuff, lets hope that the dept are offered funding increases next year to widen the net if they feel it appropriate.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Sync, I think it is important to point out that we do not know how much of the money was claimed fraudulently, how much was staff mistakes and how much was as a result of mistakes by claimants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Sync, I think it is important to point out that we do not know how much of the money was claimed fraudulently, how much was staff mistakes and how much was as a result of mistakes by claimants.
    Then we should, like in the IT ad, look for the WHY.

Why are mistakes made?
    How is fraud sanctioned?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    or how many have been waiting months for benefits they are entitled to. Delaying the payments if you like.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    or how many have been waiting months for benefits they are entitled to. Delaying the payments if you like.
    That one certainly mucks up the stats!

Are bank bailouts included in these stats?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The way the article is phrased it's certainly indicative of a fraud investigation as opposed to a general accuracy of payments review (which I agree should be part of an annual review as well). It's not possible for the recipient to have been in accidental error if they're not living alone or have taken employment etc.

And the intent behind the figure is of secondary importance. No one's out to demonise welfare recipients, but these sort of sweeps are typical ones run by banks over account dealings and insurance companies over claims. Overpayments/fraudulant payments should be identified and followed up on, and this seems to be a case of a public sector govt dept operating at a high level above their own expectations.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

900,000 payments reviewed?

500,000,000 euro equals dole for 50,000 people. Were 12% of people on the dole really committing fraud? Has this lowered the unemployment rate?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Welfare probe finds fraud worth over €500m - National News - Independent.ie

Certainly good news, and a victory for the dept, beating its own targets for the review. As a stats nerd I'd be interested to hear a bit more about the 900k payments investigated. It's not going to be 900k people investigated, there will be multiple payments examined for some people. How were those people selected? Was it random or were there certain triggers involved which flag the person for review? If random then what % of recipients were examined claiming how much? Do the dept feel that they should be able to expand their function?

Regardless, good to see the dept beating its review target by approx 12% by November. A 2.5% saving on the overall welfare cost due to these investigations is impressive stuff, lets hope that the dept are offered funding increases next year to widen the net if they feel it appropriate.
    Great news for the Anglo Bondholders !!!
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Then we should, like in the IT ad, look for the WHY.

Why are mistakes made?
    Again, this is pretty clearly not about mistakes being made, but if it's a mistake on the part of staff then it's more than likely going to have a root cause of training.

How is fraud sanctioned?
    I go to the welfare office and say I'm not living with the father of my child. But I am living with the father of my child. I tell the office I'm not working. But I am working. Every case isn't going to be subject to overly rigorous checks, there would simply be too much to do. So you identify a sample to examine in detail and make it public from that sample A: That you identify fraud B: That there are repercussions for said fraud.

Personally each year I'd then introduce a 1 month amnesty for people to come forward and admit any welfare cheating and face the requirement to repay the money over time but no criminal action.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast