Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: Would weary taxpayers welcome a new right wing party offering tax cuts and demanding negotiations for government debt restructuring?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Would weary taxpayers welcome a new right wing party offering tax cuts and demanding negotiations for government debt restructuring?

    As taxes keep rising,seemingly grinding taxpayers into the ground and as front line government services are cut despite tax increases,the stage should be set for the emergence of a new right wing party. Would weary taxpayers welcome a party offering a tax cutting agenda and demanding negotiations for government debt restructuring? With cuts in public sector pay to private sector levels,maybe €5 billion could be saved, while large scale public sector redundancies could save billions more given a successful drive to computerise administration. Interest on the national debt could be cut by billions if the government succeeded in demands on creditors for debt restucturing to cut interest rates on the national debt and extend debt maturities to 30 years or more. It is likely the government would receive the backing of Spain,Italy and Greece in this negotiation. There is a precedent for this in the "Brady Bonds" rescue of South American countries,principally Mexico and Brazil, that were threatened with insolvency in the late 1980s.
    Last edited by patslatt; 19th November 2012 at 05:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member BlackLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South-East
    Posts
    4,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Populist parties don't rise in support in desperate time cause they are so much fun, they rise cause they say what the people want, not what they need. Right wing parties are generally seen as the austerity pushers and left wing are the opposite. In the coming years it will be a left wing party or a centre left party or (FF) that will be picked. The Irish people have 0 IQ when it comes to politics see GE's of 02,07,11 for example of why. sooner or later they will vote in who offers an easy way out.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLion View Post
    Populist parties don't rise in support in desperate time cause they are so much fun, they rise cause they say what the people want, not what they need. Right wing parties are generally seen as the austerity pushers and left wing are the opposite. In the coming years it will be a left wing party or a centre left party or (FF) that will be picked. The Irish people have 0 IQ when it comes to politics see GE's of 02,07,11 for example of why. sooner or later they will vote in who offers an easy way out.
    We've had as much austerity as we can take,because it was mostly savage tax increases coupled with poor management of spending controls. An austerity programme focused largely on our overpaid,overpensioned public sector would be popular with private sector workers.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If their was a right wing party set up next month I would be all for it myself.
    I do not know about the rest off the country though, realistically I would say a right wing party might get 20% off the vote at very most.
    Unless off course their was some big names behind it to carry its image then it may mop up undecided types who pass their vote around.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member stoichkov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    after many decades of right-wing, free-market politics, it now seems clear that ireland just needs more of the same.

    i mean, look around you. see how good it's been for the country.
    i am crying, writing this.
    ----------------------------

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member BlackLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South-East
    Posts
    4,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    We've had as much austerity as we can take,because it was mostly savage tax increases coupled with poor management of spending controls. An austerity programme focused largely on our overpaid,overpensioned public sector would be popular with private sector workers.
    No we haven't. Whats makes you think that? When thousands are on the streets instead of a few dozen ever so often, then we have had enough austerity.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member BlackLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South-East
    Posts
    4,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoichkov View Post
    after many decades of right-wing, free-market politics, it now seems clear that ireland just needs more of the same.

    i mean, look around you. see how good it's been for the country.
    Right parties? Who FG? FF? Lab? your view of a Right party is the same way a ULA member would look at anyone that doesn't agree with them. There are no main stream right wing parties in Ireland.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoichkov View Post
    after many decades of right-wing, free-market politics, it now seems clear that ireland just needs more of the same.

    i mean, look around you. see how good it's been for the country.
    If their has been so much right wing politics here was was their so much spending on the civil service and welfare and non on the armed forces. Those two points been the hallmark off right wing politics.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin Wood Quay ...now Northside
    Posts
    15,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoichkov View Post
    after many decades of right-wing, free-market politics, it now seems clear that ireland just needs more of the same.

    i mean, look around you. see how good it's been for the country.
    One of the few,and i mean single digit (in fact one ) points Conor Lendahand ever made that i thought made sense.. was along the lines of countries in recessions like ours usually swing to the right not to the left.....

    Were a conservative country for the most part...i'm suprised that they haven't already come out of the woodwork...........
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin Wood Quay ...now Northside
    Posts
    15,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLion View Post
    Right parties? Who FG? FF? Lab? your view of a Right party is the same way a ULA member would look at anyone that doesn't agree with them. There are no main stream right wing parties in Ireland.


    Parts of Fine Gael and some of the former PD's would be at home in some of the more anti euro bits of the Tory's................
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •