Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State should be employer of last resort?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default State should be employer of last resort?

A rather odd proposal that the government should become the employer of last resort from Begg.

State may need to become 'employer of last resort' - ICTU chief - RT News

"However he said that ultimately, the State must be willing to contemplate being an employer of last resort through local authorities or social employment."

Building roads to nowhere just like during The Famine? There is an obscenity in people like Begg, a former board member of the Central Bank if I recall correctly, living off the fat of the land while ordinary people struggle to survive.

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    A rather odd proposal that the government should become the employer of last resort from Begg.

"However he said that ultimately, the State must be willing to contemplate being an employer of last resort through local authorities or social employment."

Building roads to nowhere just like during The Famine? There is an obscenity in people like Begg, a former board member of the Central Bank if I recall correctly, living off the fat of the land while ordinary people struggle to survive.

Regards...jmcc
    The unions are loosing relevance by the day. If they want to have some chance of survival, they need to have a clear out at the top. Much like their Parliamentary Party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    The unions are loosing relevance by the day.
    They are no longer relevant.

If they want to have some chance of survival, they need to have a clear out at the top. Much like their Parliamentary Party.
    Ahern was quite clever in the way he subverted them.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I walked into the Gresham one day and and there was Begg sitting at a table,

He must have noticed the look of disgust on my face when I saw him, coz he quickly turned away,

I've seen that little sh1t O'Connor a few times too, he's always around O'Connell street for some reason, another horrible individual,

I saw him one day walking up to an ATM, smirking and laughing to himself,

Must have been payday or something, and he was laughing at all the fools who contribute to his massive salary

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are plenty of social employment schemes which could be employed to the benefit if all eg demolition of derelict properties in urban areas or removal of indigenous invasive plant species from rural Ireland.

If you think that is mad, consider that the State interferes with private employment by taxing it heavily, making it subject to red tape, sets a minimum wage, makes it difficult and expensive to sack incompetent employees and robs their private pension funds to pay for a scheme which displaces potentially permanent employment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    The unions are loosing relevance by the day. If they want to have some chance of survival, they need to have a clear out at the top. Much like their Parliamentary Party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regards...jmcc
    As far as I know, begg is still a central bank director, since 1995 apparently.

Lucky for us to have such a well qualified financial expert to warn us and others of a impending banking crises.
    I believe that children are the future

Unless we stop them now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This state couldn't run a bath. We pay handsomely already for services we don't get. Wouldn't trust them to do squat. I'd imagine Begg has an angle, ie the State will give the 9bn to him and his cronies to manage. Sorry David, you'll find that tool supping a pint in Drumcondra.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regards...jmcc
    It is not alone mad - it has been tried, and failed. Cant remember who said insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result.

In 1977 FF pursued precisely this policy and added 30,000 extra people to the then much smaller public service. It was their solution to the unemployment problem.

Result? Bankruptcy within 3 years?

Why? Because sustainable jobs can only come from real commerce.

To pretend that the unemployment crisis can be solved by increasing state employment is like a struggling shopkeeper thinking he can improve his turnover by borrowing money and buying his own stock with that money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carlovian View Post
    As far as I know, begg is still a central bank director, since 1995 apparently.

Lucky for us to have such a well qualified financial expert to warn us and others of a impending banking crises.
    Indeed. And his track record of stewardship of oversight on banking activities renders him uniquely appropriate to suggest other disastrous schemes.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast