Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Legislation re abortion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Legislation re abortion

Apologies if my question has already been discussed. It has been a very emotional week in the wake of the recent tragic events (the death of Savita Halappanavar) and there have been long debates over many aspects on P.ie.

There have been many understandable calls for legislation which will set out clearly the circumstances when an abortion can be legally performed in Ireland, within the terms of the X case decision.

Would this de facto lead to Ireland providing abortion on demand?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One would think not. Legislating would only define the morass medical staff currently find themselves in; and not include any on demand scenario.

Personally I would like to see availablity until 12 weeks "if the person is in distress due to the pregnancy" as in the majority of EU nations also.
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certainty is required. The 1861 Act needs to be repealed/amended. Legislation is therefore required. The President would then have to refer the bill to the Supreme Court under Article 26. Within 60 days certainty will be achieved. (Not that drafting the bill is easy, but there are actual proposals out there eg Clare Daly's, so that could be a starting point but taking into account the views of the expert group. Then the medical council can update its guidelines and doctors can be insured and reassured that they can freely act to in the best interest of their patient(s).

(Repost from another thread)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

/mod/ this is being discussed in numerous other threads. Here's one active one on it: http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-...unk-again.html /mod/
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.