Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardai admit "war on drugs" is a failure...better late than never I guess!

Dylan2010

Default Gardai admit "war on drugs" is a failure...better late than never I guess!

Something Libertarians could have told you 40 years ago and even statists utilitarian types must have been figuring out over the last while as the utility isnt adding up as it were. Most other people must be suffering from cognitive dissonace. I'm surprised that Gardai would want to put their own little stimulus project at risk as there is a lot of money tied up in enforcing drugs laws, but hay maybe common sense is starting to prevail? Now if they are admiting it in private, do they have the balls to say so in public? I doubt it somehow, much better to maintain the status quo and wait for that pension rather than really trying to be an asset to the community. I'm not holding my breath especially with the cowardly TD's in the background

Gangs rake in cash as war on drugs fails to halt trade - National News - Independent.ie

EXPERIENCED gardai now privately admit that the State has lost the war against illegal drugs which has fuelled the murderous organised criminal culture of the past 20 years.

Commenting on the recent discovery of cannabis grow houses across Ireland, a senior garda said that the cultivation of the plants had become an "epidemic".

The economics explain why. The "street" value of the cannabis that could be produced by the 6,000 plants recently seized by gardai in the latest set of grow-house raids is, at current rates, approximately €3.6m. Each plant produces around two ounces (56 grammes) of cannabis. The growers sell this at around €150 an ounce to middle men who at least double their price when selling to local dealers. They sell on the drug at around €13 a gramme to Ireland's large constituency of "weekend users", as they were referred to in a recent spat between pro-legalisation TD Luke 'Ming' Flanagan and Dublin Mid West TD Derek Keating.

Last year gardai raided 600 grow houses and by July this year they had seized plants in 574 raids. The industrial-scale grow houses are organised by Chinese Triad gangs who use enslaved labourers, usually Chinese or Vietnamese nationals, to tend to the plants. Some of those arrested were working to pay off gambling debts or were recruited with the promise of payments of as little as €1,500 a month on delivery of their crop.

Mr Keating TD expressed the prevailing political view that the possession and cultivation of drugs should remain a criminal offence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

InB4 John Biffo says

"I'm not having my taxes used to pay for fools In A&E's overdosing on fuuuuuuurghhhhhinggggg mariageawana pal.

Mkay?"

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gardai may as well the war on everything they are supposed to be apprehending is a failure.

Though for the legal profession it is a business stimulus and a "success".
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And now what?
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's estimated that the Americans have spent upwards of 2 trillion dollars on the "war on drugs" these last 30 year's and things are worse than ever. Simply put it is a war that can't be won through enforcement either there,here or anywhere. I still think in 30 years time nothing will have changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, we could make a huge start by legalising cannabis. But we won't. No politician will even raise the issue, apart from Luke of course. We used to look forward to the annual free joint arriving by post back in the day. The T.D.s would make a great hewhaw about it in public, but in private......well, let's just say the status quo in Dáil Éireann was maintained. Hypocrisy.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You cannot overdose on cannabis John B
    Nobody has ever died from too much cannabis, this is just the kind of ignorance
    that keeps this pathetic drug war going..

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    You cannot overdose on cannabis John B
    Nobody has ever died from too much cannabis, this is just the kind of ignorance
    that keeps this pathetic drug war going..
    That is true. Also, addiction is largely a myth and no one has ever died from heroin withdrawal.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Give everyone ablood test twice a year. Drug addicts would be easily identified. Then we could put then off the road and prosecute them. Fines could easily cover the cost of policing drugs.

Drug sniffer dogs could be put on street patrols. Dogs don't need pensions either!

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Give everyone ablood test twice a year. Drug addicts would be easily identified. Then we could put then off the road and prosecute them. Fines could easily cover the cost of policing drugs.

Drug sniffer dogs could be put on street patrols. Dogs don't need pensions either!
    And this is exactly what I fear if drugs were legalised. The state might make pathetic laws like this for more control over us.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast