Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the FG minister suggesting a free vote? Is the Independent being mischieveous?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who is the FG minister suggesting a free vote? Is the Independent being mischieveous?

Last night a Fine Gael minister told the Sunday Independent: "It would be, in my view, a great signal of reform if we allowed a free vote on this issue."
    Kite flying from a FG minister, quelle surprise! There won't be a vote nor a referendum. There will never be a free vote either. There is a head of steam building up for some fine hot air!

Four journalists put this article together which says it all.

Slow news day despite some hefty newsworthy happenings.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How did we arrive at a national broadsheet Sunday that represents the very worst in Irish society ?
    Fianna Fail, Micheal Martin - New Captain, Same Titanic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds emanating from Government indicate that they are hoping to deal with this through Statutory Instrument which will mean that it will never come to a vote.

For FG this would be a solution of sorts: X finally gets addressed but individual TDs can still go back to their constituencies saying that they oppose abortion and have no voting record to say otherwise.

However, SF's motion may force their hand a bit.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Surely enactment in this instance would require primary legislation, meaning a vote would be unavoidance?
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    Surely enactment in this instance would require primary legislation, meaning a vote would be unavoidance?
    There seems to be a belief that it can be done by SI. Alex White made reference to it being a proposal (although he did say that he would need to see the detail).
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Member Silvio Dante's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The momentum for a free vote is increasing. Excellent. Now for the lobbying to begin in earnest...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio Dante View Post
    The momentum for a free vote is increasing. Excellent. Now for the lobbying to begin in earnest...
    What makes you think that there has not already been lobbying taking place?

Keeping the whip protects them a little. Using secondary legislation to address this lets them off the hook altogether.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When a mainstrem Irish media operation talks about anonymous sources in Leinster House, I immediately switch off.

Regardless of either the subject or the point of view.

Because it always a cover for an agenda of either the said media outlet, or advertisers paying money to the said media outlet.

And I leave it at that.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Sounds emanating from Government indicate that they are hoping to deal with this through Statutory Instrument which will mean that it will never come to a vote.

For FG this would be a solution of sorts: X finally gets addressed but individual TDs can still go back to their constituencies saying that they oppose abortion and have no voting record to say otherwise.

However, SF's motion may force their hand a bit.
    Gutless chickensh1t b**tards who wouldn't know a principle if it bit their collective noses off.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

The article states;

"Analysis conducted by the Sunday Independent indicates that, under a "free vote", an estimated 41 TDs – just short of a quarter of all TDs – would oppose the introduction to legislate for the X Case: Fine Gael (20), Labour (10), Fianna Fail (5), Independents (5) and Sinn Fein (1)."

Wow how out of touch are these regressive neanderthals?
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast