Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: How are the parties divided on abortion?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How are the parties divided on abortion?

No one political party is uniformly pro-life or pro-choice. Already Sinn Féin's Peadar Toibin has broken ranks and indicated he will defy the SF whip and "vote pro-life".

D J Moore ‏@djcpmoore BREAKING : Peadar Toibin (Sinn Fein, Meath West) has just said on RTE News that he will defy Sinn Fein whip next week and "Vote Pro-Life"
    Retweeted by irishpollingreport

A couple of other SF TDs are also known to define themselves as pro-life in terms of their views over the years and may do the same.

In FG, James Bannon has given an interview indicating that he has issues with voting for any legalisation of abortion. Simon Harris has moved in the other direction, from opposing legislating for X case to being open to doing so now given the developments in Galway. Other TDs are pro-choice.

Éamon Ó Cuiv doesn't hide his pro-life credentials and may break ranks with his party (yet again - he seems to be the Lannigan's Ball of politicians, forever stepping out and in again). Other FF TDs identify themselves as pro-life while some identify themselves as pro-choice.

Labour is split between the Dublin liberal wing represented by Ivana Bacik and the conservative rural party which is quite conservative socially, so a split on the issue is possible.

So we may witness most if not all parties experiencing breakaways on the issue in any Oireachtas vote.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    No one political party is uniformly pro-life or pro-choice. Already Sinn Féin's Peadar Toibin has broken ranks and indicated he will defy the SF whip and "vote pro-life".

D J Moore ‏@djcpmoore BREAKING : Peadar Toibin (Sinn Fein, Meath West) has just said on RTE News that he will defy Sinn Fein whip next week and "Vote Pro-Life"
    Retweeted by irishpollingreport

A couple of other SF TDs are also known to define themselves as pro-life in terms of their views over the years and may do the same.

In FG, James Bannon has given an interview indicating that he has issues with voting for any legalisation of abortion. Simon Harris has moved in the other direction, from opposing legislating for X case to being open to doing so now given the developments in Galway. Other TDs are pro-choice.

Éamon Ó Cuiv doesn't hide his pro-life credentials and may break ranks with his party (yet again - he seems to be the Lannigan's Ball of politicians, forever stepping out and in again). Other FF TDs identify themselves as pro-life while some identify themselves as pro-choice.

Labour is split between the Dublin liberal wing represented by Ivana Bacik and the conservative rural party which is quite conservative socially, so a split on the issue is possible.

So we may witness most if not all parties experiencing breakaways on the issue in any Oireachtas vote.
    It's a great question and leads to the question about whether any vote should be under the whip or a conscience vote.

I'd love to know the real figures.

I posted this on another thread earlier:

Peadar Toibin (SF) says he will be voting "pro life" in any vote in the Dail.

What does that mean? Does that mean not legislating for X even if it means the death of women?

Time to challenge anyone who uses the term "pro life".

I won't dwell on the irony of a SF TD claiming to be "pro life".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another abortion thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely a vote on abortion should not be whipped.

My guess, based on no evidence whatsoever, is that if all parties allowed a free vote, legislation for X would pass.

Btw, I think the OP is somewhat inaccurate in stating that Labour is split on the issue. Certainly it's not uniformly pro-choice and a number of Labour TDs are understood to be irritated by Ivana Bacik's repeated assertion that the party supports a liberal abortion regime. But it seems that it is almost entirely pro-X legislation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish society is divide between mad religious nutters and the rest of us.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're all @rseholes.

We vote for scum, we get scum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post

Could you name some of these Labour TDs or Senators that you believe likely to break ranks on this? The only two that come to my mind who might defy the whip are the Senators Whelan and Kelly.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I posted this on another thread earlier:

Peadar Toibin (SF) says he will be voting "pro life" in any vote in the Dail.

What does that mean? Does that mean not legislating for X even if it means the death of women?

Time to challenge anyone who uses the term "pro life".

I won't dwell on the irony of a SF TD claiming to be "pro life"
    This is peace process mode,and time to move on !

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Surely a vote on abortion should not be whipped.

My guess, based on no evidence whatsoever, is that if all parties allowed a free vote, legislation for X would pass.

Btw, I think the OP is somewhat inaccurate in stating that Labour is split on the issue. Certainly it's not uniformly pro-choice and a number of Labour TDs are understood to be irritated by Ivana Bacik's repeated assertion that the party supports a liberal abortion regime. But it seems that it is almost entirely pro-X legislation.
    Can't blame them though Ivana is a media hure.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast