Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 56% of Britons would vote to leave the EU

Default 56% of Britons would vote to leave the EU

And not an Express/Telegraph poll, but in tomorrow's Observer, hardly a haven of Europhobes, with only Lib Dems and 18-34s having a pro-EU majority. Personally, I'm pro-EU, as I believe the trading and residency benefits outweigh the eurozone difficulties, but the question must be asked as to how Ireland's membership would be affected by a UK withdrawal?
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brussels idiots do not mind - referenda can be held until the result comes to up to requirements.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say a majority of the EU would vote for the UK to leave also.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They should get on with it then. Nobody forced them to join, nobody's forcing them to stay.

Either leave or quit whining.
    Mark Murray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    And not an Express/Telegraph poll, but in tomorrow's Observer, hardly a haven of Europhobes, with only Lib Dems and 18-34s having a pro-EU majority. Personally, I'm pro-EU, as I believe the trading and residency benefits outweigh the eurozone difficulties, but the question must be asked as to how Ireland's membership would be affected by a UK withdrawal?
    Really, they talk and talk about it but only stay seeking opt-outs.

Talk and talk:
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/united-...pull-plug.html

The scare tactics for Ireland:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    If Britain left the EU they would no longer allow Irish people to live and work there without a Visa. This could see thousands of Irish who moved recently to the UK for work returned home, especially in low skilled jobs as surely the UK would fill those vacancies with their own unemployed.
    As I said then:
    Quote Originally Posted by harry_w View Post
    The question arises, is there enough oxygen getting to Michael Gove's brain?

Since the British government vetoed Eurozone members from reaching an EU treaty last year the Eurozone members reached their own treaty and will have to get on with its own business making separate arrangements from the EU. It's not in the Eurozone's interest to have a free-rider operating their own currency inside the EU seeking opt-outs on fundamental structures.
    _________________________________________ __________________________
    Mississippi River Blues ~ Big Bill Broonzy (1934) / Crow Jane ~ Carl Martin (1935)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    the question must be asked as to how Ireland's membership would be affected by a UK withdrawal?
    I can't see how it would be affected at all. The UK would remain in the EEA (50% of UK trade is with other EU/EEA members, so they will not cut themselves off) so nothing much will change.

Politics.ie Member TheWexfordInn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    They should get on with it then. Nobody forced them to join, nobody's forcing them to stay.

What's with your whining about an opinion poll in the UK? This is a UK poll in a UK newspaper, you would think that they were following you around all day moaning in your face about the EU the way you are moaning about them. As long as the UK continues to provide 13 per cent of the EU budget of which Ireland is a net recipient I think Irish people should stop whining about the UK's attitude to Europe and just be glad the the EU is at the moment still receiving this UK cash, who knows the EU might look to Ireland to put its hand in its pocket and make up some of this shortfall if the UK leaves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

TBH I think the whole of Europe is getting pissed off with Britain's constant ambivalence and sneering attitude to the EU and this seeming belief in Britain that they are somehow special and superior to the crazy people on the continent as they would put it.

I would gladly see them leave at this stage and take the consequence of no free market access just so us crazy people left in the EU can prove a point.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post

Dont we whine twice as much about everything.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given the way the EU is portrayed by the majority of the UK press, that figure is actually lower than I would have expected.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast