Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what about the UK Nationals who live full-time in the Republic ?

Default what about the UK Nationals who live full-time in the Republic ?

During the 700 year occupation of this Island, UK nationals were the masters. Then they were often regarded as our superiors in all senses : military, legal, property, cultural, education, linguistic etc. Then there was independence, then the troubles in the North, then the Good Friday agreement and so on.

Many young british living in ireland were not even alive during so much of Ireland's troubled history. Are they now just another ethnic minority who came here ? just like all the others ? or do they have a special place in our consciousness ?

So, a question : what is the role and status of UK nationals who live in the Republic these days ?

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times
    Category:Ethnic groups in Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

it is interesting that the Irish go there, and the British come here ? Is this a totally symbiotic relationship ? Not for footballers certainly, but maybe for other professions.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well Irish citizen's are not regarded as foreigners in the UK. I presume the same is here.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I don't think the Brit nationals living in the 26 counties will have much sympathy for the Unionists in the north. Unlike the Unionists, the Brits have moved on (all of them)

Are there any stats on this?
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I work with English, Welsh, Polish and American.

I refer to all of the above except the English and Welsh as foreigners. Culturally speaking the English/Welsh are almost identical to us. We live beside each other. We rely on each others economies - they are our biggest trading partner. We follow their soccer teams. We follow their rugby teams. They love our golfers. Most of the people I know never approved of 'The Troubles' and in fact completely disagreed with the killing of innocent by-standers. I would look on the English as our friends, our colleagues, our brothers. Fair enough we've had a chequered history but, its history. Leave the history to the historians. Most people are too busy with getting on with their lives to worry about what happened last century.
    Last edited by cabledude; 18th November 2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    So, a question : what is the role and status of UK nationals who live in the Republic these days ?
    Weird question. Have you not met one? They are the largest minority group.

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    I work with English, Welsh, Polish and American.

I refer to all of the above except the English and Welsh as foreigners. Culturally speaking the English/Welsh as being almost identical to us. We live beside each other. We rely on each others economies - they are our biggest trading partner. We follow their soccer teams. We follow their rugby teams. They love our golfers. Most of the people I know never approved of 'The Troubles' and in fact completely disagreed with the killing of innocent by-standers. I would look on the English as our friends our colleagues our brothers. Fair enough we've has a chequered history but, its history. Leave the history to the historians. Most people are too busy with getting on with their lives to worry about what happened last century.
    Except the Unionists who at least annually march to commemorate battles fought 100s of years ago.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Well Irish citizen's are not regarded as foreigners in the UK. I presume the same is here.
    Despite all the history the links between the two countries must be the strongest in Europe.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Weird question. Have you not met one? They are the largest minority group.
    The largest immigrant population

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Except the Unionists who at least annually march to commemorate battles fought 100s of years ago.
    Let em off I say. As I already said, History should be left to the historians.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast