Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Naval Service to get new ships

Default Irish Naval Service to get new ships

Todays Indo. Tenders invited for 3 new ships for INS + options fpr 2 more. 2 older vessels to be retired in 2010. Only reason I bring this up is because 2 of the vessels ( 1 definite + 1 option) are to be the largest vessels in the history of the INS. I have always thought the INS was too small for an island nation with such huge territorial seas and UN commitments and the like. Not to mention the rapidly expanding merchant fleet to protect in dodgy parts of the world as other nations of Irelands size already do for their merchant fleets. Perhaps someone in a position to influence matters finally agrees with me!!! Its hardly as if we cant afford it. Anyone out there with knowledge of these matters care to expand ?
    Kylie never answers my calls

I think this is one of the new state of the art ships the Irish "navy" are going to purchase.

The Irish "navy" is an international laughing stock.
    The square root of the golden ratio times pi is close to 4, this product is 3.996168.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

or maybe it's for our new role in NATO ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Say what you like about the Irish navy but no other navy provides this level of camouflage for its troops with their landing craft.

The Irish "navy" is an international laughing stock. [/quote] Is it? I wouldnt have thought so really. Seems quite professional to me. Just too darned small. I know some of the current fllet have been around the world though!
    Kylie never answers my calls

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Irish Naval Service to get new ships

Quote Originally Posted by boldfenianman
    Its hardly as if we cant afford it. Anyone out there with knowledge of these matters care to expand ?
    We can't afford to build new schools, so children up and down the Country are sitting in cold, damp, rat infested 19th century buildings, or 20th Century portakabins, with, in some cases, outside lavvys.

And you think we need shiny new expensive playthings for some of our civil servants?
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN
    Its hardly as if we cant afford it. Anyone out there with knowledge of these matters care to expand ?
    We can't afford to build new schools, so children up and down the Country are sitting in cold, damp, rat infested 19th century buildings, or 20th Century portakabins, with, in some cases, outside lavvys.

And you think we need shiny new expensive playthings for some of our civil servants?

Thats right - don't let us ape British Imperialism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN

We can't afford to build new schools, so children up and down the Country are sitting in cold, damp, rat infested 19th century buildings,
    or 20th Century portakabins, with, in some cases, outside lavvys.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I've never seen nor heard of a 110/120/130 year old damp rat infested Primary school...

Maybe we just have it good in Meath.

As for the laughing stock comment hardly, it's merely a small navy.

Being small hardly constitutes a laughing stock.

Good to see these new ships, as one poster said it's not as if wer can't afford it.

L.E Eithne the Navy's Flagship.

Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not, buy some old 1960's war ships from the U.S., and just put modern computer systems in them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These are mainly to replace existing stock, I think. Surely we should be expanding too? Given how huge the area of sea that we claim is, along with the propensity for shoals of cocaine to come bobbing to the surface off the west coast?
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast