Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: A series of modest proposal for Dublin City Centre.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A series of modest proposal for Dublin City Centre.

This stream of consciousness is partly inspired by the recent IT article of the same theme, and also various P.ie threads.

Basicallly, I propose the following in order to improve the tourism potential, cultural something (I understand this sh1te is popular with some people, so I have included it) and general standard of consumption of DCC. They are:

1: Drive the junkies and criminals off the boardwalks of the Liffey and O'Connell street. Its beyond laughable that our main street is thronged with these individuals littering the place. This proposal involves two strands:
    a: Relentless policing of the boardwalks to remove those drinking there. Relentless policing targeting low level street drug dealing.
    b: The movement of treatment centres from the city centre to appropriate areas outside the centre.

Of course, there is a far more macro issue around treatment, rehabilitation, prosecution and legalisation of drugs and other addictions, however I did say 'modest'. The above language may be a it strident/Daily Mail type stuff, but I am merely advocating a targeting of criminal behaviour (drinking and drug dealing) and also more appropriate treatment (move the centres). I don't want them thrown in the Liffey or anything.

2: Bank of Ireland should be asked to hand back College Green to the state, and the state would institute some form of cultural stuff there - maybe a library, maybe a gallery, maybe a theatre, maybe an orchestra, or a combo of the lot. It could be somewhere, for instance, artists could seek to monetise their talent (a gallery you can buy their works, etc) which would be a boost for the arts.

3: The GPO should be converted to a museum of 1916/Irish history (1798, Fenian uprising, etc). Could there be a more apt place?

Both 1,2, and 3 would substantially increase the tourism potential of the City, improve it culturally, and make it a nicer place to visit.

We could essentially have a 'centre of excellence which would incorporate Trinity and the book of Kells, the College Green cultural offering, the GPO museum, and the spire, all along a clean, tidy and safe street, all in walking distance for a tourist.

You can then separately take in Kilmamham gaol, the Store House, and have the craic in Temple Bar, which I think would prove to be a compelling tourist offering/package for Dublin.

Thoughts?

SeamusNapoleon

I would mostly agree with that.

What I would add - and I think most people could agree on this - is to have the GPO idea incorporate Moore St somehow. The wreck that it is now is a national disgrace, needs remedying as soon as possible, and could be achieved with some CPOs maybe to link it to the GPO.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agree with city centre & College green. Certainly worth looking at a literary link between there and Trinity.

don't know about GPO - we already have the National History Museum - I'd rather look to the future then continually look to the past. We already have so many museums and relics of the past how about thinking outside the box and embracing our youth, students, parents & tourists with creative thinking by way of workshops.

As for Moore Street - turn it into a market like St Georges in Belfast, English in Cork or Quincy in Boston but adopt a modern approach

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have argued for years that the area between Trinity and BOI should be pedestrianised. Great vantage point to admire Trinity without being mown down.
    There is definitely a huge problem with junkies in the city centre. They mightn't do anything but they're a threatening presence. I came across one tour of French people who said they'd return to Ireland but would avoid Dublin because of this. None of them had been touched but they felt they couldn't relax.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    This stream of consciousness is partly inspired by the recent IT article of the same theme, and also various P.ie threads.

Basicallly, I propose the following in order to improve the tourism potential, cultural something (I understand this sh1te is popular with some people, so I have included it) and general standard of consumption of DCC. They are:

1: Drive the junkies and criminals off the boardwalks of the Liffey and O'Connell street. Its beyond laughable that our main street is thronged with these individuals littering the place. This proposal involves two strands:
    a: Relentless policing of the boardwalks to remove those drinking there. Relentless policing targeting low level street drug dealing.
    b: The movement of treatment centres from the city centre to appropriate areas outside the centre.

Of course, there is a far more macro issue around treatment, rehabilitation, prosecution and legalisation of drugs and other addictions, however I did say 'modest'. The above language may be a it strident/Daily Mail type stuff, but I am merely advocating a targeting of criminal behaviour (drinking and drug dealing) and also more appropriate treatment (move the centres). I don't want them thrown in the Liffey or anything.

2: Bank of Ireland should be asked to hand back College Green to the state, and the state would institute some form of cultural stuff there - maybe a library, maybe a gallery, maybe a theatre, maybe an orchestra, or a combo of the lot. It could be somewhere, for instance, artists could seek to monetise their talent (a gallery you can buy their works, etc) which would be a boost for the arts.

3: The GPO should be converted to a museum of 1916/Irish history (1798, Fenian uprising, etc). Could there be a more apt place?

Both 1,2, and 3 would substantially increase the tourism potential of the City, improve it culturally, and make it a nicer place to visit.

We could essentially have a 'centre of excellence which would incorporate Trinity and the book of Kells, the College Green cultural offering, the GPO museum, and the spire, all along a clean, tidy and safe street, all in walking distance for a tourist.

You can then separately take in Kilmamham gaol, the Store House, and have the craic in Temple Bar, which I think would prove to be a compelling tourist offering/package for Dublin.

Thoughts?
    I'd go along with that and add the point we need to clamp down on the amount of beggers around our main tourist areas. No point in spending tens of millions in promoting Ireland unless we are serious about improving the product we are attempting to sell.