Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: Quinn considering new model for funding third-level education

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Quinn considering new model for funding third-level education

    The indo has a headline this morning that Ruairi Quinn is considering a new plan for funding the third-level education system in which those who benefit most from it are the people who pay most for it.

    Quinn looks at new plan to tax our graduates - National News - Independent.ie

    The plan is basically a tax on graduates that kicks in once they hit a particular level of income and goes on until they have paid back their fees (which are expected to be higher than the ones that apply at present).

    A form of this "income-contingent loan" system is used in the US, amongst other jurisdictions.

    Income-Contingent Repayment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Meanwhile, the ERSI has criticised the seemingly total failure of the abolition of fees and the expansion of third-level places to broaden access to university education.

    They also advocate a loan system contingent on the income of graduates.

    End of third-level fees and more places fail to broaden access for poor - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 17, 2012

    Is this an idea whose time has come?

  2. #2
    Ramps
    Guest

    Default

    Why not just let those who think such an education will be a benefit to them in later life pay the fees themselves? The repayments would be between the bank and them, nothing to do with the State. We'll soon see how much people value university.

  3. #3
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    The indo has a headline this morning that Ruairi Quinn is considering a new plan for funding the third-level education system in which those who benefit most from it are the people who pay most for it.

    Quinn looks at new plan to tax our graduates - National News - Independent.ie

    The plan is basically a tax on graduates that kicks in once they hit a particular level of income and goes on until they have paid back their fees (which are expected to be higher than the ones that apply at present).

    A form of this "income-contingent loan" system is used in the US, amongst other jurisdictions.

    Income-Contingent Repayment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Meanwhile, the ERSI has criticised the seemingly total failure of the abolition of fees and the expansion of third-level places to broaden access to university education.

    They also advocate a loan system contingent on the income of graduates.

    End of third-level fees and more places fail to broaden access for poor - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 17, 2012

    Is this an idea whose time has come?
    How that that can be translated from "there will be no increase in third level fees while Labour are in Government" with a straight face by Quinn & Gilmore, will indeed be interesting.

    On the failure of the no fees policy to broaden access to third level, they were told that at the time, but it was a vote winner with the Labour middle class vote so why would they care now when they didn't then?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    elitism well some day return. Sad to my mind.
    SWK
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A great idea and long overdue. They should further tweak it by allowing graduates to work for the state for three years at a reduced income to pay off the loan.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Aristodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What's wrong with the British model?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Howya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lass' sie nach Irland kommen
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Why not just let those who think such an education will be a benefit to them in later life pay the fees themselves? The repayments would be between the bank and them, nothing to do with the State. We'll soon see how much people value university.
    While I broadly agree with your point, my concern would be for disadvantaged students not being able to get a bank loan - not sure that I would want the State to guarantee those loans but that might be the only way to ensure access to 3rd level education for all.
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Howya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lass' sie nach Irland kommen
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    The indo has a headline this morning that Ruairi Quinn is considering a new plan for funding the third-level education system in which those who benefit most from it are the people who pay most for it.


    The plan is basically a tax on graduates that kicks in once they hit a particular level of income and goes on until they have paid back their fees (which are expected to be higher than the ones that apply at present).
    .....isn't that what happens already with our progressive tax system?
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    A great idea and long overdue. They should further tweak it by allowing graduates to work for the state for three years at a reduced income to pay off the loan.

    Nice to know you like that kind off thing.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Away
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This could encourage graduate emigration. How to deal with students from other EU states?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •