Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Backstage -Jay Z

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Backstage -Jay Z

On BBC2 Now:

Like a big contest to find who is the most unlikeable and self-important **** in this documentary.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe it's just because I'm white and dislike most rap/hip hop, but it seems like a load of angry rich black men with tourettes and a sociopathic level of self-regard and self-aggrandisement whinging incomprehensibly about their rudderless, materialistic, amoral lifestyle all the time. Vulgar, mostly..

(I might add here that I actually liked Public Enemy in the late 1980s).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Maybe it's just because I'm white and dislike most rap/hip hop, but it seems like a load of angry rich black men with tourettes and a sociopathic level of self-regard and self-aggrandisement whinging incomprehensibly about their rudderless, materialistic, amoral lifestyle all the time. Vulgar, mostly..

The thing that is scary watching this, is that really none of them are showing that they have even the slightest sign of any type of spiritual outlook on things - it is all money, girls, cash, type of bull coming out of their mouths, and of course talking about 'the rap game' (why do we never hear 'the rock game'?).

This was filmed in 2000, so maybe at least a few of them have grown up for better, since? Only DMX I recognise here, because I try my best to avoid the genre in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post

Yes indeed, Public Enemy had a social message, they were shinning a mirror back on the black community and asking what's this all about. The thing is though, these guys (I turned off after five minutes) no more represent Hip-Hop, than Cock Rockers represented Rock, when they seemed like the ubiquitous voice of that genre at the time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jay-Z has a dilemma in terms of self-presentation: he looks (and sounds) retarded with his mouth open and he looks surly with his mouth closed.

Two words to sum up Rap/Hip-Hop as a genre: Blacks boasting.

Blues and Jazz musicians may have been personally degenerate, in many cases, but the music still has merit. The fact that John Coltrane was a heroin "addict" doesn't change my (high) opinion of his artistic quest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScreeOrTalus View Post
    Jay-Z has a dilemma in terms of self-presentation: he looks (and sounds) retarded with his mouth open and he looks surly with his mouth closed.

Two words to sum up Rap/Hip-Hop as a genre: Blacks boasting.

Blues and Jazz musicians may have been personally degenerate, in many cases, but the music still has merit. The fact that John Coltrane was a heroin "addict" doesn't change my (high) opinion of his artistic quest.
    Not a fan of A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul no?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadaist View Post
    They're not bad. I find it a chore to listen to a Hip-Hop album all the way through, anything over 40 minutes is torture .

"Gangsta" and mainstream Hip-Hop is bilge water imho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadaist View Post
    Jay Z on the Occupy Movement realising he's the 1 percent...'Iím not going to a park and picnic, I have no idea what to do, I donít know what the fight is about. What do 'we' want, do you know? I think all those things need to really declare themselves a bit more clearly. Because when you just say that the 1 percent is that,í thatís not true. Yeah, the 1 percent thatís robbing people, and deceiving people, these fixed mortgages and all these things, and then taking their home away from them, thatís criminal, thatís bad. Not being an entrepreneur. This is free enterprise. This is what America is built on'

The Roots "Tip The Scale" - YouTube