Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Financial Transaction Tax to form part of EU Budget - Van Rompuy

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Default Financial Transaction Tax to form part of EU Budget - Van Rompuy

EUobserver.com / Headline News / Van Rompuy: financial tax to form part of EU budget

The much vaunted EU financial transaction tax (FTT) is set to be hard-wired into the EU budget, with most of its revenue going directly to the EU.A paper prepared by EU Council President Herman Van Rompuy and sent to European capitals ahead of next week's EU budget summit, where leaders aim to agree a mandate on the budget framework for 2014-2020, would deduct FTT revenues from national contributions to the annual EU pot.
    So, the debate around the EU Budget, with 6 days to go, is sure to continue. Personally, I have no objections to the FTT but I wonder whether the government will opt out of applying it Ireland (as they can under these new proposals)?

Under the Commission's 2011 proposal the FTT is expected to raise around €57billion annually (based on levies of 0.1% and 0.01% on bond and derivatives trading respectively). It is expected that two thirds of this revenue in each member state will go directly to the EU - allowing for a national contributions to be reduced in those countries who avail of it.

So folks, yay or nay for Ireland? Will the pull of Berlin draw Enda, the European of the Year, in or will he answer the calls of the IFSC and London?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be shocked if the government didn't opt out. UK will opt out, so Dublin would be put at disadvantage (or so the logic goes).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government are saying no to 0.01% but want the cash when its collected from the other country's banks ime sure thats going down well on the debt write down negotiations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Noonan already said Ireland was opting out a few weeks back IIRC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am I right in thinking that the initial comments from the EU when the FTT was first proposed - that the FTT would be used to support future bailouts?

If so, hasn't taken the politicians long to snaffle the goodie bag. (Lovely tactic - either implement the FTT or you'll end up contributing more to the EU budget).
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Howya View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the initial comments from the EU when the FTT was first proposed - that the FTT would be used to support future bailouts?

If so, hasn't taken the politicians long to snaffle the goodie bag. (Lovely tactic - either implement the FTT or you'll end up contributing more to the EU budget).
    Unsure about the the question but the second statement is a good 'un.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think its gas. We the little people (those fortunate enough to still have jobs) have seen our incomes drop by 7 - 14 %, yet we can't ask the IFSC for a 0.01% FTT, which I read in the indo months ago would bring in 1/2 billion annually - our response is an absolute NO! Same goes for corporate tax - an absolute NO, even though a 2% rise would still see Ireland way below the rest of Europe. There was a very indepth analysis of this on the Journal.ie yesterday.
    I understand we have to make it attractive for MNC's and financial services to base themselves here, but hey there's profit and there's plunder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't there a thread on this already? Ireland is opting out (cute hoors). Three Labour MEPS broke ranks and are urging Ireland to participate.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Isn't there a thread on this already?
    Couldn't find one by searching ger. If there is then, Mods, feel free to merge.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    I think its gas. We the little people (those fortunate enough to still have jobs) have seen our incomes drop by 7 - 14 %, yet we can't ask the IFSC for a 0.01% FTT, which I read in the indo months ago would bring in 1/2 billion annually - our response is an absolute NO! Same goes for corporate tax - an absolute NO, even though a 2% rise would still see Ireland way below the rest of Europe. There was a very indepth analysis of this on the Journal.ie yesterday.
    I understand we have to make it attractive for MNC's and financial services to base themselves here, but hey there's profit and there's plunder
    You'll come in for criticism for saying sacrilegious stuff like that around these parts. Nicely put however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast