Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 144 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: SF/IRA Must Accept That The Criminal Violence Was Wrong

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default SF/IRA Must Accept That The Criminal Violence Was Wrong

Mike Nesbitt
    But he also said Mr Kearney’s assertion that unionist complaints that they had not been able to hear the words of republicans over the sound of guns and bombs were right amounted to “an abject confession that the terrorist campaign was a failure”.

“Republicans need to have uncomfortable conversations with themselves first. Let me suggest this as a starting point.

“Admit that if there was something wrong with the way Northern Ireland used to be governed, no one needed to die, or be injured, to achieve the fix,” he added.

“Acknowledge your responsibility for the fact that many... suffer the consequences in physical and mental pain... and apologise for the actions, not just the consequences.”

There was no immediate response from Sinn Fein.

Read more: Mike Nesbitt: Sinn Fein must accept IRA 'war' unjustified - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Obviously all the violence was wrong and achieved nothing other than further division, if SF/IRA have any notion of actual outreach sooner or later they will have to admit this. Difficult to achieve while the ''war'' vet's still hold office and with the army council puppet masters pulling the strings but someday SF may separate itself from the IRA and become an actual/solely political party...

As for Nesbitt initially i completely dismissed him, and at times he can be caught out on some subjects, but he does come across as being genuine in his attempts to support victims, which is more than can be said for most of our politicians...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After, will unionists want pictures of SF running the knife into the back of the IRA men and women who lost their lives in the conflict?
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It wasn't wrong, so why should they say such? Criminal British imperialism, unionist misrule and collusion and state terrorism was wrong, all of which preceded 'SF/IRA violence'

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SF/IRA Must Accept That The Criminal Violence Was Wrong

lol!

Seriously though, people like Nesbitt come off with this piffle just to gain media face time. It happens all the time here in America, usually among people like Irelands UUP who have a very low media profile.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listened to the debate between Nesbitt and Kearney this morning and it went nowhere. But thankfully the callers after them for the most part were saying that there isn't going to be any coming together on the subject of the past and we need to concentrate on the future. I totally agree. Here is the rub. The word that is being used to explain the forward movement of the peace process is "reconciliation" which would be fine except for the fact that the state of Northern Ireland was never conciled in the first place, so to reconcile it is impossible. That said we can move forward on the joint acceptance that for the sake of our futures and our children's we find some way to agree to disagree, otherwise we are doomed to repeat the past.

Now we have to take into account "the victims" yes we do but even there we have difficulty as to who "the victims" were. As someone on the program said the harsh reality is that victims will never get what they want, sorry but this is the truth. And I speak as someone who lost family in the conflict. I have to accept that for the sake of not having more victims my family's loss will have to be suffered as such. Apologies to anyone who doesn't think this way but these are my thoughts on the matter.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The IRA said before:

"There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief and pain of their relatives."

The IRA said the future would not be found in "denying collective failures and mistakes or closing minds and hearts to the plight of those who had been hurt. That includes all of the victims of the conflict, combatants and non-combatants.

John Taylor said what the IRA said was "not sufficient as it is not sympathy that Ulster Unionists want from the IRA but an assurance that the war is over.".

Taylor's demand has been met as the PIRA no longer exist, SF is part of governing the place it wished to destroy, and it encourages nationalists to go to the PSNI with information about dissos. Now Ulster Unionists have shifted the goal posts again and want SF to run the knife in further. Get lost.

IRA issues apology for killings | Mail Online

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    After, will unionists want pictures of SF running the knife into the back of the IRA men and women who lost their lives in the conflict?
    we already have that...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    we already have that...
    You lads really aren`t interested in peace are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    we already have that...
    And here is a republican reaction to the more recent unionist demand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub01 View Post
    You lads really aren`t interested in peace are you?
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.
    Dalai Lama

Page 1 of 144 123451151101 ... LastLast