Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the PC market dying,dead or just catching its breath ?

Default Is the PC market dying,dead or just catching its breath ?

We are now living in a world where technological changes seem to happen in the blink of an eye and the world of computing seems to change fastest of all.

I attended my first lecture on computers in the late 1970's, a time when there was only perhaps a few thousand programmers in the world and the PC didn't exist, memory equalled spools of magnetic tape and the internet was science fiction.

I bought my first PC in the mid 1980's and paid circa 3000 for it, twin floppy disks, no hard drive, a green screen and a spreadsheet program called Lotus 123.

The dealer told me that he hoped to sell at least 30 more of them that year, but we all knew that the computer industry would be very big and eventually every house would have a PC we didn't quite stretch to every room in the house would have a PC or even 2

Then the IDA went forth in the world and returned with companies like Digital, IBM and Intel, Apple, Dell, Gateway and the rest.

Before the Celtic Tiger arrived mobile computing was something that was over the horizon and a lap top almost needed its own engine to get it from room to room.

Now mobile computing may be about to kill the PC.

PC sales may decline "for years to come", analysts begin to worry :: TweakTown USA Edition

Will tablets and smartphones take over the world or is there still a market for a computer with a decent screen size and comfortable keyboard ?

And what is the future for coding as a career ?
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ever tried to play Call of Duty or any graphically intensive game on a mobile phone? Games and rich content applications will drive PC sales for a while yet. Social media might be more applicable to hand held devices though so I think that there might well be a fracturing of the market rather than the death of the PC market.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Ever tried to play Call of Duty or any graphically intensive game on a mobile phone? Games and rich content applications will drive PC sales for a while yet. Social media might be more applicable to hand held devices though so I think that there might well be a fracturing of the market rather than the death of the PC market.

Regards...jmcc
    jmcc,

You are probably correct but I have another question, do people actually use tablets or smartphones for text based work ?
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There will still be a market for laptops / macbooks. I can see the desktop market dying away

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    Will tablets and smartphones take over the world or is there still a market for a computer with a decent screen size and comfortable keyboard ?
    A generation thing? I find the mobile phone screen too small to read without glasses and my fingers too stubby to hit the correct letter even using one finger at a time I like the ipad, never really took to the laptop. I like a decent screen, I have a better sound system than I ever had, I scanned all the photos I wanted onto the computer and managed to copy most of my LPs onto it - I may update to windows 8 in the new year and if I need to give it a brain transplant in future, I have no fear in opening it.

Dylan2010

My first computer was an Acorn Atom, 5k text and 6k graphics expanded which involved trips to Peats to pick up 1/2 k chips. 400 punts if I remember in 83. You still need a laptop/pc for gaming and doing homework , home working etc. The costs are mounting though, people are getting used to shelling out hundreds of euros every year to keep up to date with the technology.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's very much dying. The venn diagram of crossover for people who A: want to sit in front of their desk to do work B: Need a system more powerful than a laptop to do so is rapidly becoming smaller.

From a gameplaying perspective once the next WOW (or whatever) goes to console that will be a death knell for the gaming industry on the system. Steam have realised this and are working on their own console now. 10 years time, it's tough to see there being much of a PC gaming industry at all.

Then, while there's still gonig to be people who want to sit at the screen for Office apps, why wouldn't you just use a docked laptop for it?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    We are now living in a world where technological changes seem to happen in the blink of an eye and the world of computing seems to change fastest of all.

I attended my first lecture on computers in the late 1970's, a time when there was only perhaps a few thousand programmers in the world and the PC didn't exist, memory equalled spools of magnetic tape and the internet was science fiction.

I bought my first PC in the mid 1980's and paid circa 3000 for it, twin floppy disks, no hard drive, a green screen and a spreadsheet program called Lotus 123.

The dealer told me that he hoped to sell at least 30 more of them that year, but we all knew that the computer industry would be very big and eventually every house would have a PC we didn't quite stretch to every room in the house would have a PC or even 2

Then the IDA went forth in the world and returned with companies like Digital, IBM and Intel, Apple, Dell, Gateway and the rest.

Before the Celtic Tiger arrived mobile computing was something that was over the horizon and a lap top almost needed its own engine to get it from room to room.

Now mobile computing may be about to kill the PC.

PC sales may decline "for years to come", analysts begin to worry :: TweakTown USA Edition

And what is the future for coding as a career ?
    Apps and enterprise Apps.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We had an Acorn/BBC 'B' in the early 80s - I still use emulators to play the games I used to play on it. Never got the hang of BASIC though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gaming and speciality needs aside the PC is dead, even for work now I just use a semi decent laptop and a docking station with 2 x22" screens + mouse + keyboard plugged in.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast