Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Freedom Fighter bids farewell to congres with some simple questions - A farewell worth hearing

Default U.S. Freedom Fighter bids farewell to congres with some simple questions - A farewell worth hearing

Doctor Ron Paul - Arguably one of the keenest minds in US politics, speaks about 'Individual' freedom in his farewell speech to the US congress yesterday. The questions are as relevant to Ireland and our constitution as they are to the USA.

Thankfully there is plenty of home truths about the USA highlighted by this gentleman.

Without the ideas of ideologists, good ideas for governance cease to exist.

The result is bad government.

Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He makes some very good points. It's the slavish cult like following he has that freaks me out. Anyone who breaks down the name Paul in to P-peace AU- gold L- love is just a bit too tin foil hat for me.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    He makes some very good points. It's the slavish cult like following he has that freaks me out. Anyone who breaks down the name Paul in to P-peace AU- gold L- love is just a bit too tin foil hat for me.
    Absolutely. Maybe a half-decent and honest politician who was unlucky in the freaky followers he acquired.

Like the ones who published the racist newsletters over his name, which he claimed he knew nothing about.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Compared to Obama and Romney he is a man of substance. Whatever about his policies, you can't say the man abandoned his principles. I recall his voting record was very consistent. There was never a hope of him getting a sniff of power. In many ways his legacy will endure for this very reason, because his resolve was never really tested by becoming President. An impressive, knowledgeable speaker. I understand why many are fanatical about him, but could the same not be said of Obama and his unswerving 'I like him cos' hes black' voting block. Are they going to Audit the Federal Reserve as a retirement gift? I'll not hold my breath.
    "Be advised! My passport's green.
    No glass of ours was ever raised! To toast The Queen"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So he didn't win the Presidency then?

He does seem decent and politically consistent but his followers are whackos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peacetrain11 View Post
    Compared to Obama and Romney he is a man of substance. Whatever about his policies, you can't say the man abandoned his principles. I recall his voting record was very consistent. There was never a hope of him getting a sniff of power. In many ways his legacy will endure for this very reason, because his resolve was never really tested by becoming President. An impressive, knowledgeable speaker. I understand why many are fanatical about him, but could the same not be said of Obama and his unswerving 'I like him cos' hes black' voting block. Are they going to Audit the Federal Reserve as a retirement gift? I'll not hold my breath.
    Seems to me he comes from the United left alliance school of economics where you can say anything you like and not worry because you will never be in a position to implement it. As I said he seems to be an honourable man but he is unelectable on a national scale.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise2 View Post
    So he didn't win the Presidency then?

He does seem decent and politically consistent but his followers are whackos
    Please do give us your esteemed psychoanalysis of us lost souls.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Title says : US Freedom Fighter......how sad.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He has been one of the few who have ever held firm to his beliefs. Almost every other mainstream politician has been tarnished by war, war crimes, murder, and empire; almost every other politician has been wrong about the consequences of monetary expansion and the real impact of inflation, which has seen most gains go to the rich while the average worker's real earnings have scarcely budged since the late 70s; almost every other politician has acquiesced to the erosion of civil liberties, the introduction if indefinite detention without trial, and the right of the executive to kill without due process; and almost every other politician has been so keen to be an insider and a player that they have never said anything of consequence on any issue.
    I am grateful for Ron Paul- he at the very least showed that there was an alternative and that not everyone could be bought. He fought an uphill battle against tremendous odds, powerful institutional enemies and a massive concentration of wealth. But whetever his limited legislative impact, we can say that very few individual congressmen have has as much influence in recent years, so much so that even the Fed was put on the defensive. The fact that Bloomberg discovered over 20 trillion in undeclared bailouts might explain why they were so reluctant to be audited.
    And in terms of the battle for ideas, drug laws are being nullified all over the place, gay marriage or a removal of state prohibition has been a libertarian idea since at least the 70s, the growth in interest in Austrian economics has been staggering, and now several congressmen are happy to call themselves Ron Paul republicans.
    Paul's two big issues -war and debt- are actually one big issue- the power of the government to violate people's liberty, Over the years he has been right about so many things, and I believe the future will continue to bear him out. After a decade of war, debt and the erosion of freedoms, I believe that the next decade will see much more of the same.

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stand out speech.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast