Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia redefines treason.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Russia redefines treason.

President Putin has signed a law redefining treason, a day after saying that he would review the law in question. The law broadens the definition of treason relative to the definition used in the earlier law which had been unchanged since the sixties.

The broadening of this definition has, justly, raised concerns among dissidents and democracy/human rights activists and groups. Human Rights Watch has gone so far as to say that the Council of Europe should call upon its Venice Commission to determine if the law is compatible with the European Convention on Human Rights to which Russia is a party. The broadening of the definition allows for the following:

Now not only Russians working for foreign intelligence can be convicted but also citizens who pass state secrets to any foreign organisation.

Even if no secrets have been divulged, the treason charge may still be used.

It is enough for defendants to provide consultancy or "other assistance" to a foreign state or international body "directed against Russia's security"
    The legislation allows Russians representing international organizations to be charged with treason, as well as those working for foreign states and bodies, and expands the range of actions that can be considered treasonous.
    It broadened the spectrum of actions that can attract treason charges to include giving "financial, material, technical, consultative or other aid" to a government or organization deemed to be seeking to undermine Russian security.
    Those changes, as well as the removal of the stipulation that actions must be aimed against Russia's "external" security to be considered treasonous, have raised concerns the law could be applied broadly to punish government opponents.
    The law also makes it a crime to pass on to foreign and international organizations information garnered from open sources if the organization receiving the information plans to use it to harm Russia’s national security interests.
    The above quotes are taken from articles which I will link to at the end of my post.

Former Soviet dissident Lyudmila Alexeyeva has this to say about the law:

"It's an attempt to return not just to Soviet times but to the Stalin era, when any conversation with a foreigner was seen as a potential threat to the state,"
    High ranking persons at Human Rights Watch have also described their concern, and suspicion, that the new definition might be used to crack down on the opposition and people working for NGO's.

Finally, the official gazette, Rossiyskaya Gazeta noted the following in a commentary on its website:

"Citizens recruited by international organizations acting against the country's interests will also be considered traitors"
    These developments are quite concerning if you ask me and I feel that both the concern and suspicion that this might be used to target people opposed to Putin's regime is very much justified.

Thoughts?

BBC News - Russia treason: Putin approves sweeping new law
    Russia: New Treason Law Threatens Rights | Human Rights Watch
    Russia's Putin signs new treason law | Top News | Reuters
    Lyudmila Alexeyeva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why am I not surprised you posted this.

None the less, this is an incredibly subtle move to strengthen his grip over the Russian Federation and the people, the fascinating transformation to a totalitarian state is slowly taking place.
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise." James Larkin.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post

None the less, this is an incredibly subtle move to strengthen his grip over the Russian Federation and the people, the fascinating transformation to a totalitarian state is slowly taking place.
    Haha, you know me; I find this both fascinating and troubling at the same time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post

Indeed. The so-called "foreign agent" moves are equally alarming. And Khodorkovsky...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Soviet Union was a Mafia state run by fake ideologues supported by the secret police. It may not have started that way, but that is how it ended up.

Russia is still a Mafia state, except is is now run by the secret police with a fake nationalist ideology. It may not have started that way, but that is how it ended up.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    The Soviet Union was a Mafia state run by fake ideologues supported by the secret police. It may not have started that way, but that is how it ended up.

Russia is still a Mafia state, except is is now run by the secret police with a fake nationalist ideology. It may not have started that way, but that is how it ended up.
    Then I suppose communism as a cover-up wasn't good enough for the capitalistic and vicious nature of market economies.

The US is a better example of a successful mafia state which is completely run on profiteering, of course, great way to live.
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise." James Larkin.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you do not like the US and do like Russia... nice.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    President Putin has signed a law redefining treason, a day after saying that he would review the law in question. The law broadens the definition of treason relative to the definition used in the earlier law which had been unchanged since the sixties.

The broadening of this definition has, justly, raised concerns among dissidents and democracy/human rights activists and groups. Human Rights Watch has gone so far as to say that the Council of Europe should call upon its Venice Commission to determine if the law is compatible with the European Convention on Human Rights to which Russia is a party. The broadening of the definition allows for the following:

The above quotes are taken from articles which I will link to at the end of my post.

Former Soviet dissident Lyudmila Alexeyeva has this to say about the law:

High ranking persons at Human Rights Watch have also described their concern, and suspicion, that the new definition might be used to crack down on the opposition and people working for NGO's.

Finally, the official gazette, Rossiyskaya Gazeta noted the following in a commentary on its website:

These developments are quite concerning if you ask me and I feel that both the concern and suspicion that this might be used to target people opposed to Putin's regime is very much justified.

Thoughts?

BBC News - Russia treason: Putin approves sweeping new law
    Russia: New Treason Law Threatens Rights | Human Rights Watch
    Russia's Putin signs new treason law | Top News | Reuters
    Lyudmila Alexeyeva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Not arguing with your concerns but when these issues arise, I always wonder who these groups are that comment. Who are Human Rights Watch exactly? Are they elected? Are they a EU organisation? Is there many people in this group and what is their agenda, politics or background?
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Niall996 View Post
    Not arguing with your concerns but when these issues arise, I always wonder who these groups are that comment. Who are Human Rights Watch exactly? Are they elected? Are they a EU organisation? Is there many people in this group and what is their agenda, politics or background?
    Aye, I fully recognize that you have to be careful when looking at advocacy groups. Or did you want me to explain HRW's background (by HRW's very reputation I'm inclined to believe you wanted to make the point I think you did instead of wanting me to explain HRW's background. Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are NGO's not foreign agents?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast